Loader To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #21  
john_bud thanks for doing the math! :thumbsup:

This is what a very full 1 cu yard bucket looks like.

NIce pics.

I have always wondered what it would be like to run one of them with a bucket instead of the forks.

A question I always pondered though....does it have more power driving into a pile? or more power with the hydraulics extending the boom??

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #22  
That looks like more than a 1 yd bucket!

The machine is smaller than it looks. The bucket is 6' wide.
P1070005.JPG P1070007 PN 7140706.JPG

And another thing... where the heck are all your rocks and roots? If I was digging in that stuff, I'd think I died and went to pure soil heaven!!
I have rocks and roots, just not here! :)

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #23  
NIce pics. Thanks!

I have always wondered what it would be like to run one of them with a bucket instead of the forks. Fantastic. :D
It has a SSQA, So I have both.
P7200004.JPG

A question I always pondered though....does it have more power driving into a pile? or more power with the hydraulics extending the boom??
Plenty of power to fill the bucket. If I am in sand rock or shale, extending the boom will fill the bucket, when the wheels start spinning.

Note the teeth
P3180020.JPG

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #24  
So you are saying the boom has more power than the wheels?

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #25  
If the wheels aren't getting enough traction... you could extend the bucket with a gazillion horsepower and all it's going to to is push the machine backwards with a gazillion horsepower.

xtn

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #26  
So you are saying the boom has more power than the wheels?
Yep, it seems to. Drawbar pull is listed as 6970 pounds. Operating weight is 60648 lbs and it always has been able to pull or push itself out of any motion impaired situation! :D

Like this one, got in a soft spot by the pond drain valve.
P7100063.JPG P7100064.JPG
Couldn't pull it uphill with the stump bucket.

First push back.
P7100071.JPG P7100072.JPG P7100074.JPG

Second push back.
P7100078.JPG P7100079.JPG

Third push back, the rear is on solid ground, see the dirt on top of the receiver hitch, it was buried on the first push.
P7100082.JPG

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #27  
If the wheels aren't getting enough traction... you could extend the bucket with a gazillion horsepower and all it's going to to is push the machine backwards with a gazillion horsepower.

xtn
On this machine if the bucket isn't full and the wheels start spinning, I extend the boom, the machine slides back some as they dig deeper and the bucket goes forward enough to get it full.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #28  
On this machine if the bucket isn't full and the wheels start spinning, I extend the boom, the machine slides back some as they dig deeper and the bucket goes forward enough to get it full.

Gotcha... kinda dig yourself dirt chocks behind the tires to push against. I didn't think of that.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #29  
What do you do when your bucket won't roll back enough to fill, see pic. Lucky for me I don't move piles of mat'l often.

View attachment 342746

You may be able to get a bucket with a deeper bottom. This would allow you to get more roll back. I have the same issue with my 463 loader and I end up switching to a 72" Cat skidsteer bucket when I need to move piles.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question.
Yep, it seems to. Drawbar pull is listed as 6970 pounds. Operating weight is 60648 lbs and it always has been able to pull or push itself out of any motion impaired situation! :D

WHOA!

60,648 POUNDS whooo wheeee that's one heavy sucker.

Unless it's s typo ;)