TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,551  
I do like the Boyd's stock on it.
20240211_231302.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,552  
I did put the 22WMR CCI maxi-mag HPs on paper today, ... 8 out 10 where very tight, with on good 2" low left of the main group, and another 1 inch high and right of the group. Also noticed the HPs when the mag was fully loaded, didn't seem to feed as well as the SPs.
.22 Mag is accepted to be as much hit or miss as to a gun's ammo preference as many of our CFs tend to be, really our .22 LRs too if you think about it.

I'll pass quickly on ammo that doesn't shoot well, but also lap bolts and de-burr or smooth feed ramps and mags. Round files and stones/hones are your friends. (you guys knew that)

Eight shots of .22 Mag within 5-10 min will warm any barrel, nature of the gun more than load. Statisticians contend that at best seven shot groups beat three or five (competing?) and that ten is likely but subject to whatever anomalies. (see above, what can your ammo do with five?)

I'll often go with three shot groups when working up a CF load or when sighting in for a hunt because follow-up shots are so rare. .22 Mag is no different for me because most of my shots with any caliber are off-hand and I just gotta know if it was me that blew the shot. (haven't yet)

btw, by the time you get the gun and optic settled in I bet you'll wonder why any of us thought you'd need help. :)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,553  
I deep down kinda was wanting to find a nice 17WSM rifle, threaded, with a wood stock; but I knew 22WMR was probably the better choice for ammo availability.
I have actually seen more 17HMR ammo for sale than .22 WMR. Some of that might be that the 17 catches my eye because I know I will need it!
A .22 WMR with an accurate barrel and ammo that it likes would be sweet around here due to the varmints that we see as they pass under the street light heading for the woods! Pick them off before they enter the thick brush!
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,554  
I have actually seen more 17HMR ammo for sale than .22 WMR. Some of that might be that the 17 catches my eye because I know I will need it!
A .22 WMR with an accurate barrel and ammo that it likes would be sweet around here due to the varmints that we see as they pass under the street light heading for the woods! Pick them off before they enter the thick brush!
David from jax
Yes I agree, but I ruled out 17HMR, as just not IMO enough for hogs/yotes/ect. It was 25 grs at 2700 fps vs 40gr at 1900 fps ad the question. I do sometimes see 17 WSM ammo on the shelf, but its far from wide spread.

I was looking for a Rimfire (cause of WMA regs), that offered significantly more terminal effect than 22LR. I'm not questioning 22LR, but 75% more energy just seems like a nice security thing; plus, I just kinda wanted a 17WSM or 22WMR. 17M2 and 17HMR just don't either seem like you gain That much over 22LR. for the added expenses

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,555  
Savage has been putting Boyd's stocks on some of their models for a few years now. That one looks pretty nice. Congrats on the new rifle.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,556  
New black A300 Patrol in hand. I'm poor so 1301/M2/4 wasn't going to happen.

Need to take down and clean , then install optic, sling (ugh, terrible rear QD placement), light and card.

Seems like a nice boom stick, very utilitarian to boot.

Man can't live on pumper alone :unsure:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,557  
I was just glad to have scored this the other day, haven't seen it for a while! Now if I could just find some H4895!
IMG_1373.JPG

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,558  
I was just glad to have scored this the other day, haven't seen it for a while! Now if I could just find some H4895!
View attachment 852717
I personally prefer grape jelly, or IMR 4895, or blue berry, IMR 4064 :) I do like Varget, but I'm over fighting for it, and not willing to pay $85/lbs. IMR 8208XBR is still pretty hard to find, and expensive. I was looking for Trail Boss, but pretty much stopped looking.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,559  
I personally prefer grape jelly, or IMR 4895, or blue berry, IMR 4064 :) I do like Varget, but I'm over fighting for it, and not willing to pay $85/lbs. IMR 8208XBR is still pretty hard to find, and expensive. I was looking for Trail Boss, but pretty much stopped looking.
Yeah, I had stopped looking for Varget and then this just showed up, and yes I paid too much for it! I do like grape jelly, but I make my own so I usually have a good supply, blueberry jelly also. Pretty much given up on H4895 though... maybe someday it will show up as well.
I still have a couple cans of IMR4895..

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,560  
4064 just meters so crappy😭