TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,411  
Well after my goats decided to flip thier new house over I got to go back and put it back. Had to remove the roof as the metal was pretty much destroyed, pulled it back and got it on the foundation, and re roofed this evening mostly in the down poor that hit just after I got home with the metal
It's not as square as it was but hey it's for the goats. I warned them next time they get to hang in the rain. Also got to turn my compost piles.

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 229
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,412  
BTW, David, you never responded here when I posted the link to the shiitake growing thread in "Projects." Did you miss that?

Bob,

I am an avid subscriber to your thread and I read every post there.

I am trying to convince my wife that she and the girls would enjoy Mushroom farming and selling their crops to local farmer's markets, along with their eggs.

I am also trying to find a good moist spot without bugs where we can tend our crop.

It is all part of the plan sir, I've just got too many other projects ahead of it...

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,413  
Finished licking my wounds from the day over David's place. Made some rookie mistakes that cost me some time in the garage putting saws back together. Big saw is ready to play again. Little saw still needs repaired, parts are ordered.

After looking over what came home, looks like some of the trunks may be used for Shitake mushrooms, they are mostly blond (sapwood) all the way except for 2 or 3 inches in the center. The other stuff I will cut the sapwood off with the chainsaw mill then send it through my band saw or table saw. Largest heartwood section is only about 7 inches by 4 inches. It grew kinda oblong. Not sure I am going to get alot of wood from the stuff, but crossing my fingers. Thanks again David.

Been too wet here to get tractor out, so rebuilt the kids dirt bike. She fired right up after new piston, crank and clean carburetor. Its sounding good, so next dry time will work on trails in the woods for the bikes.

LostInThought,

I so appreciate all your hard work sir. I learned so much just watching you from my tractor seat. I am not even close to as confident with a saw as you are. I plan to scour the ground where the part went missing as soon as it stops raining.

I truly hope you get enough heart wood to make that entertainment center you promised the wife.

BTW, I have a killer mountain bike/dirt bike trail (over 2000 feet long with multiple elevation changes) along the western perimeter line and it exits into the power line clearcut... It needs a little work clearing deadfalls and new growth, but should be fun to ride... The prior owner had some quad trails theu uesd to ride, and I've found all of the remnents of them, and coupling them with the thinning trails the loggers cut, I am planning a network of horse/ mtn bike/dirt bike trails.

Thank YOU for all of your help sir. You are welcome over here any time...
Be well,

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,414  
Well after my goats decided to flip thier new house over I got to go back and put it back. Had to remove the roof as the metal was pretty much destroyed, pulled it back and got it on the foundation, and re roofed this evening mostly in the down poor that hit just after I got home with the metal
It's not as square as it was but hey it's for the goats. I warned them next time they get to hang in the rain. Also got to turn my compost piles.

The fun never ends with goats :D
I worked for a guy who kept a pet billy in the barn. Every morning when I went in to grain his horses the goat would be standing up on the shelf with the coffee pot, radio, and tools on the floor. Then every trip from the grain bin to a stall he would do his best to knock the bucket out of my hand.

You need to maintain a good sense of humor to be succesful with goats :laughing:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,415  
"LostInThought." Thanks, David. I, in my lysdexic way, had made it, "Isn't it hot?"

=========================

Don't tell the goats what you don't want them to do. It only encourages them.

I'm amazed you did so well at getting it back on the blocks. I read a book on carpentry, way back when I moved onto the land. One thing I remember the book said was, the leading cause of failure of outbuildings was "insufficient anchoring." Tie that thing down. Don't make it easy for the goats.

I'd go for some hurricane ties on the rafters too.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,416  
Roger on that got some ties and spiked the main post and anchored in cement, will do the sam to the back corners, no way are these goats gonna flip that house again:D

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,418  
We got a bit over a foot of snow in today's storm. The gravel driveway has frozen the last couple of nights, so it was not as soft as it was when I cleared the pre-Halloween storm.

I have a 73" bucket and a 6.5 ft snowplow that has been adapted for JDQA. The snowplow does not have shoes and dug quite a bit on me last time. This storm, I used the bucket. I was able to control the angle and avoided digging the gravel almost entirely. I did hook into the sod beside the drive in a couple of places, but no big deal.

Today was actually my first experience clearing snow with a modern loader. My float worked OK for the most part. My float detent doesn't always take, so I have to watch that. The bucket level indicator was a big help. After I got used to the operation a bit, I set the HST tranny in B range. That was a better speed than the low A setting. I used the steering brakes often. With my weighted R4 rears, I think I can get by on my driveway without chains. If the drive were steep, I would need them, for sure.

I dumped the bucket on almost every push. I probably didn't need to do that. It consumed quite a lot of time, overall.

When my son comes for Thanksgiving, He's bringing a pair of Fisher shoes that he no longer needs (sold that plow & truck). The original shoe brackets were cut off from mine when it was adapted with a custom frame and JDQA. We'll figure out a design for new brackets that will work with the adapted frame. I will probably haul the plow to a welding shop to have the work done, since I don't currently have a welder.

When I get shoes fitted to the plow, I think I will prefer that to the bucket, even though it is not set up to angle. I won't have to be dumping the bucket all the time. I can quickly change back to the bucket if I want to shovel a hole through the snowbank or something.

These last two storms, I have plowed snow with the backhoe on. I bought a nice counterweight that I intend to use. I plan to make a dolly for the backhoe, to make it a little handier to store in the garage. I've also got one more backhoe job I want to do before putting the hoe up for the winter. I've been super conscious of having that thing sticking out behind me and haven't hit anything yet (while plowing snow). I'll like it much better with only my counterweight back there.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,419  
No Tractoring today.

This morning I will re-join the choir to sing bass for a patriotic Thanksgiving service we do every year (you shoulod hear our "Battle hymn"). My oldest daughter will play violin, my wife flute.

I will also read the attached verse and Presidential quote...

Then I will drive the family to Charlottesville for a special dinner with my In-laws at a historic swanky joint of some kind.

Then I will drive the family home again.
It will be a GREAT Day! (And a GRATEFUL Day).

Be well all of you!
Happy Thanksgiving.
David

Attachments

• Thanksgiving 2011.pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,420  
I've been super conscious of having that thing sticking out behind me and haven't hit anything yet (while plowing snow). I'll like it much better with only my counterweight back there.

Still have to be conscious of that counterweight back there! I've backed into things with nothing on the back of my BX 23:eek::mur:

Spent five hours on Tuesday moving rocks, downed trees and dirt on new snowmobile trail. Started a corduroy road across wet area so landowner can get his skidder to his timber later on.