Tomato Harvest

/ Tomato Harvest #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
I have a question of curiosity about tomatoes, and this likely applies to many other seasonal crops.

Not far from me are a lot of tomato fields (SW MI). A few weeks back, I was driving by and saw the harvesting. Interesting process, I should have taken a couple of photos. Bottom line, the tomatoes are loaded into semi-trailers with 2 large, shallow "gondolas" per trailer. That would make them about 20' long, 8' wide and maybe 3' high.

Also not far from me, in the other direction is Red Gold, a tomato processing company in Elwood, IN. Also a few weeks back, I was on US31 headed north and saw a pretty steady stream of the tomato trucks headed towards Elwood.

So here's my question: Given that the tomato crop all comes in over a few weeks, and comes in huge volume, how do they handle that at the plant? Does it only operate for a few weeks a year or are they able to store the tomatoes to extend the processing window?

Thanks in advance!

/ Tomato Harvest #2  
I've always wondered about that too. We started noticing the tomato trucks in the fall on our trips back and forth to Purdue over a 9 year span that finally ended 2 years ago. They all appear to be Roma tomatoes, or at least shaped like Romas.

Here's one I took back on October 2 this year turning off of 31 towards Elwood.

07AA8C88-34DA-4B51-A3B0-B928E42C3D09.jpeg

/ Tomato Harvest
Yep, that's a tomato truck!

Interesting that they use a dolly to pull the road trailer right through the field with a big, articulated tractor. Harvester loads directly into the road trailer. Sure makes for messy roads in the area, and they even have signs indicating such!

/ Tomato Harvest #4  
I might have mentioned this before. When our oldest graduated high school in 2011 I was fixing up the yard for the graduation party. Needed some sod. Went to Red Hen Turf Farm. Expecting to see pictures of sod on their walls, I was surprised there were none, and all of the pictures were of tomatoes. I mentioned something to the person at the counter and they said they had a business relationship with Red Gold, there were tomato fields all over the area, and they gave me a bottle of Red Gold jalapeño ketchup with my sod purchase! :p

The following fall, heading off to Purdue, we noticed the tomato trucks and tomatoes all over the highway. Now it's a tradition to look for the tomato trucks each fall. :ROFLMAO:

/ Tomato Harvest #5  
Found this 10 year old video. Thing that stuck out to me...

29 TONS per acre!

/ Tomato Harvest #6  
So back to your original question...

It looks like for their canning operation, they run 24/7 for about 65 days, and can everything for the entire season as soon as it comes out of the field.

I'm gonna guess they do the same with the ketchups.

Can't find anything specific about that.

/ Tomato Harvest #7  
Geeze.... 45 minutes from the time it comes off the truck to the time it's in the can and done!!!

Very nice.

We use their products a lot at home. Always tasty. :p

/ Tomato Harvest #8  
Good think I'm sitting home with bronchitis today, because I'm spending a couple hours searching youtube for red gold ketchup, and there's a bunch of videos showing everything from start to finish, tractors in the field, trucking, etc...

/ Tomato Harvest
Good stuff, thanks Moss! Yeah, I think the reason I brought this up is that I made spaghetti sauce last night with Red Gold tomatoes and sauce.

/ Tomato Harvest #10  
Harvesting season here much longer - at least in our garden - typically get tomatoes from about early to mid June and until about the first week of December. (Central California foothills)