Tomatoes

/ Tomatoes #1  

dooleysm

Platinum Member
My tomato plants are getting decimated by something that is causing the leaves to shrivel and die. After some web research I think I have Septoria Leaf Spot. I've read up on it on the web and am going to take some leaves to the nursery tomorrow to see what they suggest. I was wondering if any of you had done battle with this disease and if you have any tips, tactics, or suggestions.

I'm going to be pretty depressed all year long if I don't get my annual dose of summertime tomatoes this year.

/ Tomatoes #2  
My tomato plants are getting decimated by something that is causing the leaves to shrivel and die. After some web research I think I have Septoria Leaf Spot. I've read up on it on the web and am going to take some leaves to the nursery tomorrow to see what they suggest. I was wondering if any of you had done battle with this disease and if you have any tips, tactics, or suggestions.

I'm going to be pretty depressed all year long if I don't get my annual dose of summertime tomatoes this year.

It's not late blight is it? They are having trouble with it here in Ohio. Don't know if it is as far west as Indiana. Here's some info and links to photos.
Late Blight Alert for Tomato and Potato
I'm watching my plants closely, haven't seen any sign yet.

Mark

/ Tomatoes
I don't think so, as the tomatoes have been unaffected. So far I can only tell it on the leaves, which are dying in droves. Several of my plants have lost up to 90% of their foliage I'm worried that even if I get whatever it is under control, it'll be too late for this year's crop.

I assumed the yellowing leaves were from too much water, as we've had a ton of it this year so far, but it's really gotten out of hand fast. I was away from home most of the weekend and when I was out in the garden Sunday night I was just amazed at how poorly my plants were doing. They've gotten bad fast and have me concerned. I think it's too late to replant now and we usually can loads of tomatoes, juice, salsa, and spaghetti sauce. If things don't improve, we won't have enough to can anything.

/ Tomatoes
Though like I said initially, I'm not certain of my diagnosis. I'm taking off work tomorrow and will be in town, so I plan to bring along a couple samples to the local nurseries to see what they think.

/ Tomatoes #5  
I thought the blight thing was doubtful as they have said that Ohio was as far west as it was expected, but I thought I would pass along the info anyway. I wish you luck with your problem. I know how disappointing a this sort of thing can be. Please be sure to post if you find out what it is you have there.

Mark

/ Tomatoes #6  
It's probably one of the fungal diseases. If you have enough time before harvest, there's a fungicide that will probably stop it .... Daconil I think. It's systemic, however, and has a fairly long wait time before harvesting. Neem oil might do some good and is probably less toxic. I say "probably" because I don't think Neem has been adequately studied. Since it's a "natural product", it has gotten by with lots of folks who want to be organic. I used to study natural products and I worked with some that you really wouldn't want to get on you, much less eat.

Chuck

/ Tomatoes
I'm harvesting ripe tomatoes right now, a pretty good crop even. It's just that the foliage is disappearing at an alarming rate and I don't think I'll continue to get good tomatoes if the situation continues. It's happening FAST. I guess due in no small part to how wet it's been.

/ Tomatoes #8  
i just sprayed mine for Septoria Leaf Spot which starts in early july. we are right at the right time. The plant is affected but not the fruits. Ulitimatly it affects the "fruits" as the plant cant support fruit anymore, but other than that the toms themselves are unaffected.

I sprayed with fungicide yesterday. rain today and tomarrow so perfect timming.

/ Tomatoes #10  
I would reccomend that you put your sample leaves in a ziplock bag and wash your hands and clean the outside of the bag before going anywhere with it. Just simple caution you might not think about.
I lost my entire tomato crop this year after 25-30 inches of rain in less than a month!
I bought tomatoes at the flea market Sunday and several booths had signs Ohio Tomatoes. They looked great, tasted good BUT are hard! They are like slicing a cucumber or potato!