Traction Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened

/ Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings. My 2 week old Massey GC1715 sub compact has had to dodge the rain drops too often in its 2 week introduction. A few mowings and little chance to use the fel so far. So today was a better weather day . .and after a couple hours of my mmm doing its part with the grass . . I thought I'd do some testing with the fel attached.

Our yard of 1.5 acres varies from some flat to 50+% of it being hills from 10 to 25 degrees . . All grass mostly blue grass. Yards all cut and done. I add the fel on and with the mmm running I'm going up and down hills of varying steepness and gear choices. All of a sudden as im going down the steepest hill . . I start gaining momentum even with my foot off the hydro pedal. Faster and faster I'm going till I level off in the open culvert at the base.

What the heck . . I'm thinking . . did my hydro fail me and fail to slow and stop my progress ??? No. And I'd been up and down this hill several times during the day with no problem.

So what was the rather sudden uncontrolled speed increase? I had the fel on remember . . but I didn't have it in 4wd. So even with my considerable weight and loaded tires . . the fel reduced the rear tire contact pressure to the ground. No not off the ground . . Just less weight than normal. So in 2wd the hydro only controls the rear wheels . . So unknown to me . . I was sliding forward down the hill.

Once I figured out what likely happened . .I fearlessly put it in 4wd and tested the same run again . . But this time the hydro had a chance to hold back AND front axles . . and I emerged safe, triumphant, a little humbled, and a little smarter :)

/ Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened #2  
Lol... sounds like you experienced the famous pucker factor

Last edited:
   / Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened #3  
Next time you can yell "WEEEEEEE!!!!" as you roll down the hill. :)

Glad it came out O.K. :thumbsup:

/ Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened
Hey Hun, hold my beer and watch this.:D

Lol . .ive done power slides on small and large motorcycles . . But tractors ???? No thank you :)

Lol... sounds like you excellence the famous pucker factor

To me . . Pucket power is side hill cutting where you're leaning to keep a mower or tractor vertical. This was a very unexpected sudden downhill direction and I had kept the fell tip up and the bucket high enough . . Had I had the tip low (which I'd never do) . . I could hsve dug in and done a tractor somersault down the rest of the hill.

Ive read some threads where the op was saying the hydro failed. I'd bet anything it didn't but that it was in 2wd with fel on front.

/ Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened #8  
Sounds like a good excuse, ah, err, reason to buy a box blade with weight or a backhoe is even better! :laughing:

Sounds like a good excuse, ah, err, reason to buy a box blade with weight or a backhoe is even better! :laughing:

I think the wife would see thru the suggestion of adding a backhoe to keep me balanced . . she'd just say put it in 4wd lol. But . . . . Father's day is this weekend lol.

On the motorcycle I wear a helmet on any highway. In the car or truck I wear a seat belt because I don't want a ticket. But on the sub compact I wear a seat belt all the time because I want to wear this new tractor out very slllloooowly lol.

/ Tonight I'm just a little bit humbled by what happened #10  
Now that your tested your ready for icy conditions. ;)