Too confused to choose

/ Too confused to choose #1  

huskyhauler

Tractor
None
I've been wasting away hours and days trying to make heads and tails of all the information and opinions available on here. (thank you all very much for contributing) However, I'm still not entirely sure what it is I actually need and hope that if I lay out my intended uses, maybe some kind soul will be able to suggest the minimum requirements I should be considering.

We live in rural(ish) Alaska on 40 acres, mostly wooded. I need something that can do some dirtwork in our dogyard, clear land, move logs etc around, fill in holes, help with trail work and move some snow. The snow duties are mainly handled by a 6' berco snowblower mounted to a Yamaha rhino, but something to knock down berms etc would be nice. I also need something to lift a pallet of dogfood off a flatbed trailer about once a month. We're talking 50 bags at 40 lbs a bag. Currently running a temperamental skidsteer, which hasn't been as accomplished a machine as hoped for - it's relegated to mostly the lifting duties.

My thinking is a tractor with a FEL, (plus skidsteer quick attach adaptor so I can keep my heavy duty SS forks), a bucket of some description, a grapple and a box scraper for the rear.
Not sure what I else I will need/use.
I'm not very mechanically minded, so I'm more inclined to want a new tractor. That, plus our location will limit our choices. As far as I can tell, I have dealers for JD, Kubota, Kioti, New Holland and LS within reach.

I'd be interested in people's suggestions as to sizes, hp outputs etc as well as specific models. I could probably find @$30K, but the wife would be happier if it was less. And the greater the less, the happier she'd be.

/ Too confused to choose #2  
You are going to be hard pressed to find a 4WD,FEL(2500lbs),new for less than $30,000.Possibly LS but I am not familiar with them.
Standard answer;shop the dealer;How long in business,good reputation ect.What are popular in the area.
You are looking at about 40HP and up.

/ Too confused to choose #3  
What are you confused about?

At least 40 horse to lift the wight you want to lift.

Pick your color....

When you figure out what color you like, do some research

I like my Kioti,,,2013 mfg DK45SE HST Cab...not to be confused with the 2014 DK4510.....My 2013 DK45SE is a deluxe Tractor, I am happy with it, it will do all of the tasks you listed

I would get AT LEAST as much tractor as I have.

/ Too confused to choose #4  
Do you need to do 3 point work? If not I would strongly consider a full size backhoe.

/ Too confused to choose #5  
1) I have dealers for JD, Kubota, Kioti, New Holland and LS within reach.

2) I also need something to lift a pallet of dogfood off a flatbed trailer about once a month. We're talking 50 bags at 40 lbs a bag.

3) I need something that can do some dirtwork in our dogyard, clear land, move logs etc around, fill in holes, help with trail work and move some snow.

4) Not sure what I else I will need/use.

5) I'm not very mechanically minded, so I want a new tractor. Our location will limit our choices.
I could probably find @$30K, but the wife would be happier if it was less. And the greater the less, the happier she'd be.

1) JD, Kubota, Kioti, New Holland and LS are all first quality brands. Choose your tractor on the basis of specifications, dealer rapport, dealer proximity and tractor price. Be aware that it is quite costly to have a tractor trailored to the dealer for service, generally $1.50 per miles in CONUS, so a twenty mile transportation charge would be 20 X $1.50 X 4 = $120.

2) To lift a ton with the Front End Loader (FEL) will require a good size tractor. If you do not have to lift of the pallet from a high trailer a PALLET MOVER on the rear Three Point Hitch (3-PT) of your tractor may do the job. Tractors are built heavy in the rear, as they are designed primarily for PULLING. Perhaps you could drag pallet off trailer using ramps, then use a PALLET MOVER.

LINK: King Kutter Pallet Mover

Your skid steer is purpose built for lifting loads at the front. Will you retain it?

3) All general tractor work requiring a Front End Loader with SSQA adaptor. I would recommend a heavy duty bucket. In Alaska, you probably will find a lot of use for a grapple.

4) You should consider all your potential uses and have them on paper before shopping for a tractor.
LINK: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonl...45263BDD8/11557/pub2917tractorimplements1.pdf

5) You need at least 40-hp. OK budget in CONUS for a new OPEN STATION tractor meeting your needs. I know Alaska is typically higher because of freight.

Last edited:
   / Too confused to choose #6  
A Kioti NX 4510 or LS XR 4046 would be under $30k with cab (not by much) and easily do all the tasks you're talking about.

/ Too confused to choose
Great, I feel like I'm making a bit of progress.
I figure there's no way that I can afford a backhoe, plus from what I've read, most folk who have them don't fully utilise them.

/ Too confused to choose #8  
Your skid steer is purpose built for lifting loads at the front. Will you retain it?

/ Too confused to choose
No, mostly because I can't rely on it.

/ Too confused to choose #10  
Talk to your neighbours (who have tractors) about who are the dealers with best SERVICE record. You'll need to factor that into your final choice, especially in your environment. Heck, invite one of your knowledgeable neighbours along with you when you go shopping.

'jeff9366' suggests that, for your budget, an open station tractor will get you the horsepower you need + money for implements. I agree. My own JD 4105 is a bare-bones rig that may fit your needs.

TractorData.com John Deere 4105 tractor information

TractorData will also assist you in comparing all of your choices from all of the brands available.