Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power

/ Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power
I LOVE this site. Just as I'd hoped, people who have been around Cub Cadets are throwing out ideas.. PERFECT.... I've yet to investigate any on the list as the tractor has not been delivered yet...
Kernopelli- Yes, thats the E-Bay tractor.. I have a Commercial mower, 6 way blade dozer & 10 ton 4x4 backhoe and a Cushman Turf Truckster with Hi/Low range/meant to be off road, PTO & implement hitch that we only use for the hyraulic up/down dump box on it. I can't think of anything I'd need the 3 point hitch for... I bought the tractor for the wife actually to move her landscaping stuff around with- mulch & clean up & the like... tulip picking duty if you will.... If I stumble across a 6 foot hoe I'd likey pick it up & put it on the tractor...for tulip picking.....

SubCadet 68- Does your machine have power steering? If so when your three point hitch is overstroking does the power steering still work? I was wondering in the original post if the pump for the 3 point and the power steering/loader were different & maybe the 3 point pump/3 point issue was lugging down the engine....

/ Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power #12  
F100,

Not being a dieselpro I'd like to throw in my 2cents....my experience on previous diesels I've owned, if you're gonna do any major repairs then start with injector pump and injectors.(you'll end up doing them anyways if there is major engine work to be done)....personally 4 times this has cured smoking and power troubles for me on different equipment, although others here can better hone in on your problem....:)

/ Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power #13  
I LOVE this site. Just as I'd hoped, people who have been around Cub Cadets are throwing out ideas.. PERFECT.... I've yet to investigate any on the list as the tractor has not been delivered yet...
Kernopelli- Yes, thats the E-Bay tractor.. I have a Commercial mower, 6 way blade dozer & 10 ton 4x4 backhoe and a Cushman Turf Truckster with Hi/Low range/meant to be off road, PTO & implement hitch that we only use for the hyraulic up/down dump box on it. I can't think of anything I'd need the 3 point hitch for... I bought the tractor for the wife actually to move her landscaping stuff around with- mulch & clean up & the like... tulip picking duty if you will.... If I stumble across a 6 foot hoe I'd likey pick it up & put it on the tractor...for tulip picking.....

SubCadet 68- Does your machine have power steering? If so when your three point hitch is overstroking does the power steering still work? I was wondering in the original post if the pump for the 3 point and the power steering/loader were different & maybe the 3 point pump/3 point issue was lugging down the engine....

It does have power steering. But it still works fine when the 3point is locked in the raise position. Just a bit sluggish.
I read the eBay ad on your machine. It seems pretty clear in the description that the rig has a known engine problem. I hope it works out for you

Just as an update... The tractor has sat for a long time. I had it running last night. Initially lots of blue/black smoke with pup pup pup pup sounds comming out the exhaust with the diesel knock of the next cylinder overworking. Then it all cleard up for a few minutes/sounded right & smoke stopped then it starterd again. The first thing I'm going to do is have the injectors done. When starting I've also noticed you have to be very careful about having minimal throttle or the engine loads up FAST. I believe that to be another pointer to the injectors...
The power steering works fine but the loader very slow. I believe at initial look power steering, 3 point & loader all run from one pump? I'm thinking something is amiss in the 3 point control valve but my first thing is to get her running consistently good. With the pup pup pup sound & excessive smoke comming and going I don't think at this point the engine is bad/possibly sticking valve or rings but the plan is or should be to verify the injectors are in working order first?

I think I may have found the problem but I hope that the problem has't caused damage... Working on the engine today, I note Orange RTV EVERYWHERE... This engine has been totally apart... The third injector in line was not even finger tightened down... That would account for the skip... The tractor was said to have sat for a long time then auctioned.. I'm wondering if the engine was rebuilt & had the no pwer & smoke issue from the get go & put to the side.. Everything is clean around the engine, even hard to reach places.. I'm taking the injectors down to have them tested & I'll put'em back & try again... Now I'm concerned about that cylinder with the loose injector has damage from the unburned fuel building up... I'll keep you all posted....but then again I had said from the beginning I was prepared to put a motor in it..

While here I did figure out that there are two pumps on the left side of the machine coupled together. Rear pump for power steering and front for the loader/3 point hitch. Once running again I'll have to have that front pump tested. If it ain't that Im curious about the manifold block for the loader if the connections there are correct. Anybody have a 7234 with a Cub Cadet 476 Loader I could send a picture to to see if the connections look to be in the right ports? Do these manifold blocks ever go bad?

/ Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power #16  
It sounds like the person that worked on it didn't know what they were doing. They probably didn't know about timing the pump so it痴 highly likely that the injector pump timing is off.

/ Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power #17  
Did you try tightening the injector then running the engine? Just curious if that could remedy be the problem...this may not be the only issue but could account for low compression and unburned fuel/loading up/excessive smoke.

The first things to check concerning the slow loader are:

Hydraulic fluid level.

Quick connects...if the loader has them, make sure they are securely seated. Take them off and recouple them.They often appear to be properly coupled but can cause a number of issues when not.

Check the the filter and screen on the hydraulic system. If either one are partially clogged it will slow the hydraulics down.

If it's not any of these, get a 3000psi gauge (about $15) and plumb it into the end of one of the hydraulic hoses going to one of the cylinder and then cycle that function. I would speculate that the pressure should be somewhere around 2000psi +/-. If the pressure is in the ball park then it's time to start looking at other things...cross that road when it comes.

Update- With the injectors out rather than tighten that one loose one I figured I'd just get'em tested... Kinda like spark plugs, you start there..:) & I'm a little lazy in my old age...

I have had issues with Qwik connects in the past... I hit a curb with my plow truck & the snow plow stopped turning.. drove me crazy.. Turned out I damaged a Qwik Connect. I plan now to eliinate the loader from the circuit & qwik connect the pump to the 3 point direct & see what happens after I get her running again..

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE IDEAS!!!!!

/ Took a CHANCE, Bought a 7234/Excessive Smoke/no power #19  
If you put a pressure gauge between the hyd. pump outlet and the first valve it will display the working pressure all the time for every circuit and putting it there is probably much easier than bypassing the loader especially whan you consider the pain of an inoperable loader. Pressure should be close to zero when not operating the hydraulics.

You will think of uses for the 3ph.

Update- Ok..... Diesel Shop said 2 injectors would be questionable to call questionable & one injector totally shot. Had them rebuilt. Put'em in & bled'em & then started the tractor.. All kindsa smoke & noise then she settled down & smoke cleared. While running I bled the injectors again/heard a distinct difference that was the same for all three cylinders while I had the injector nut cracked. Runs clear, idles good.. Now for power.. My driveway is a long decent grade. Had a new 28HP tractor here before about the same size & weight. Could not climb my driveway in highest gear with the 28HP tractor. This Cub almost makes it in highest gear/barey noticable smoke while bogging down... OK the power is OK.. I bring it up to the garage & shut it off, tinker around about 4 minutes & start her again.. Not the fastest starting, turned over likely 3-4 seconds which is a bit much for a warm diesel & started REAL Smoky, cleared in a few seconds. I don't know how old the diesel in the tank is/that may be a factor... Smoke was brown BUT......DID I SMELL A HINT OF STEAM in that smoke? Before I start her again I'll disconnect the fuel supply line from the injector pump & turn the key on & let her pump herself out & then try agin with fresh fuel.... Now I'm thinking....head gasket maybe/hopefully not a crack somewhere.....