Tool Box Mounting Pictures

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #31  
have an army base near here and a handful of surplus stores. ammo cans are are easy to get. so many choices. looks like i need to run out there this week end. also want to put on a fire extinguisher. have it sitting behind the seat but need to do a more permanent mount.

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #32  
Whoa! That's a toolbox with a tractor attached. Looks like it fits nicely, though.

Looks like it is not the ammo box but the gun case. lol

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #33  
Are ya'll drilling holes in your ammo cans to attach them?
how are you sealing them to be waterproof?

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #34  

I haven't yet. But if you drill the hole in the bottom, does it really matter that much?

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #35  
I would think it would. Ammo cans are water & air-tight. Any break in the integrity will allow humidity and moisture to wick up into a can and cause rust , mold, mildew etc.
So it is important to me.

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #36  

I sandwich pieces of old inner tube between the hardware and the ammo can: Bolt-Washer-Tube-Can-Tube-Washer-Nut. I use larger "fender washers" to spread the contact surface.

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #37  
have an army base near here and a handful of surplus stores. ammo cans are are easy to get. so many choices. looks like i need to run out there this week end. also want to put on a fire extinguisher. have it sitting behind the seat but need to do a more permanent mount.

Or wait for a surplus sale and buy a few pallets. They have been running about $6 to $8 each for a 50 cal can (when you buy a pallet) if I recall.

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #38  
I would think it would. Ammo cans are water & air-tight. Any break in the integrity will allow humidity and moisture to wick up into a can and cause rust , mold, mildew etc.
So it is important to me.

Lots of metal is exposed to air. Could cover bolt head with RTV, but it might get ripped off.

I have German mortar can, it gets condesation. Gaskets look good, no holes I know of. I leave it open once in awhile to dry it out. Though closing it traps air in it, not sure how to avoid that.

Looking on the internet you can find lots of sizes. I have bought some really big ones.

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #39  
I would not think moisture would "wick" into a tool box unless you have materials in it that will draw moisture. Wicks by their nature have to be such as cloth so moisture will move up through it. I was not aware they make tractor tool boxes solid to hold water as getting water in there can not be helped if no more than sweat off your hands using the tools. Right sure my factory tool box has small holes in at least two corners for that reason.
Have a great and blessed day. kt

/ Tool Box Mounting Pictures #40  
My experience with tool boxes is not moisture but dust. Work in any kind of dirt situation and boxes get dust in them. You need holes in the bottom to let it out. Tools just vibrate themselves clean and dust shakes itself out.

Moisture has never been an issue for me and I can't see how it would be.