Tool question (Parts washer)

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #11  
We use mineral spirits too, 10 years on the current parts washer.

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #12  
   / Tool question (Parts washer) #13  
I bought the cheapo HF washer that just circulates the fluid in the basin.
I brazed a fitting in the bottom and plumbed drain to the side into a 5 gal. bucket. (must use hyd oil or grease bucket with lid that has gasket)
I mounted the pump to the bucket lid off of the bottom of the bucket and ran wires to original washer switch and hose to original fluid sprayer mounted to side of basin.
I run mineral spirits in it and get by filling it with 3 gallons. (about $10. a gal)
Turn on pump, fluid comes out and drains back into bucket. Crud settles out in bottom of bucket.
I can get 2-3 months out of a fill with regular every other day average use.

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #14  
Good ideal!!! Thanks! I think my parts washer pump would fit in the bottom of a 5gal bucket. Shouldnt be hard to rig up a return drain from the plumbing section of the hardware store. No more than I use the washer, a bucket of spirits should last a pretty long time.

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #15  
On a parts washer the pump is the important part. I made my own cabinet out of steel and bought a good, little giant HD washer pump. Then I added LocLine for the spray nozzle. It works well. As to fluid, Mineral spirits is what I use.

For an off the shelf unit, most shops Ive been in use this one from Citation Parts Cleaners - Citation Cleaning Equipment :

c216c230.jpg

The one I built is a clone of this:
c300.jpg

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #16  
Are you talking a solvent tank or a parts washer? Believe, after you have used a heated parts washer cabinet you will never go back to splashing solvent again.

/ Tool question (Parts washer)
Are you talking a solvent tank or a parts washer? Believe, after you have used a heated parts washer cabinet you will never go back to splashing solvent again.

Someone had mentioned that they had added a heater to their system. Not sure where I read that post.

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #18  
Speaking of a heater, I wonder if a aquarium heater would do the job without having to worry about a fire?

When it warms up after while, I am going to do a little measuring of my washer and see if a can will fit under it. I have some firesnake buckets that have the metal band lids. They hold about 7gal which would work good if they fit.

Before its asked, Firesnake is what we call the rope we burn to run up broken rails on the railroad. Used to be that we used actual rope soaked in diesel fuel. Used to hate handling the rope once the fuel burnt out. Pretty nasty. I dont know what its made of now, but it completely burns up so no mess to handle or pickup.

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #19  
Speaking of a heater, I wonder if a aquarium heater would do the job without having to worry about a fire?

When it warms up after while, I am going to do a little measuring of my washer and see if a can will fit under it. I have some firesnake buckets that have the metal band lids. They hold about 7gal which would work good if they fit.

Before its asked, Firesnake is what we call the rope we burn to run up broken rails on the railroad. Used to be that we used actual rope soaked in diesel fuel. Used to hate handling the rope once the fuel burnt out. Pretty nasty. I dont know what its made of now, but it completely burns up so no mess to handle or pickup.

Thanks for trying, but I still don't understand why you burn rope, how a rail gets broken or why you are running. :confused3:

/ Tool question (Parts washer) #20  
I got around to taking pics today. This parts washer is at least 20 years old.
I did have to replace the pump a few years ago. I bought on at Northern Tool, $29.00 IIRC.

Attachments

• Shop 004.jpg
    Shop 004.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Shop 005.jpg
    Shop 005.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 197