Toolcat AC condenser

/ Toolcat AC condenser #1  

DaveBittel

Bronze Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610
I never have liked where the AC condenser is located on the Toolcats. I mow a lot with my 5610 and in no time my condenser was plugged to where I had to remove these air cleaner and fan an a few hours of washing and blowing it out. My "fix" was to put a piece of window screen in front of the condenser. Now when AC starts cooling poorly, I'll switch it off, open the access door and take the screen out and knock it off. AC works great again. Occasionally blow out the condenser but it hasn't been plugged since putting the screen on. The closed door just holdsd thhe scrwewern in place. The screen will. Ioften be poluggeed in under an hour. I also put on the air intake extension from Bobcat. Before my air filter would be plugged solid in no time when mowing. Picture is after about 45 minutes of mowing. Without the screen, most of fines would be plugged in the condenser.
IMG_20190713_113507415.jpg

Last edited:
   / Toolcat AC condenser #2  
I wouldn't call this a bad solution,is just making the best of a bad desighn. Window screen covering a radiator or condenser drasticly inhibit's flow of air so should be avoided if possible. I'm not guessing at this or repeating what "Mr I Herd and Mr Tha Sayed" told me. You can see this for yourself while checking or recharging an air conditioner (tractor, car or home). Cover intake with screen and watch head pressure increase. Once again,what you are doing is better than doing nothing at all. Condensers should be mounted on cab but still require's diligence with maintenance.

/ Toolcat AC condenser #3  
At day's end - wonder what your lungs look like........

/ Toolcat AC condenser
Just making fix to poor design. I'm aware the screen isn't the best but it beats completed plugging the condenser weekly. To get it really cleaned out,I had to pull air cleaner box and fan to clean it from both sides. After a few mowings AC would barely work at all.

Last edited:
   / Toolcat AC condenser #5  
I clean my tractor radiator twice a year. I don't have a rotary cutter of any kind. I first blow out the radiator - both sides. I've made an attachment for the air compressor. About 30" of 3/8 copper pipe with a 90 degree bend at the end. Run the compressor down to about 35psi. I'm able to reach all areas - both sides with this attachment. Then I follow up with a standard nozzle on the garden hose. Completely clean - even the dust.

/ Toolcat AC condenser #6  
Bobcat has a side screen kit (7199661) that does about the same thing. I have a supply of paint filters that are the 5 gallon size, that fits the side door perfectly. After mowing, I shut the AC off and shake off the filter.

001_1.JPG

/ Toolcat AC condenser #7  
I have the same problem- how do you get to the fan and back side of radiator, from underneath the machine.

/ Toolcat AC condenser
I didn’t go from underneath. On my 5610, removed battery and air cleaner assembly and then could get to electric fan to remove it. I also had to pull out engine compartment access under front that front seat is mounted to. I mow a lot so I’ve also added the extended air intake kit.

/ Toolcat AC condenser #9  
I have the same problem- how do you get to the fan and back side of radiator, from underneath the machine.

On our 5610 I removed the seat and the metal plate the seat mounts on, to access the relay that runs the fan.

/ Toolcat AC condenser #10  
I have had a similar problem with my 2008 D series. This problem also exists with the air cleaner, engine cooler and hydraulic cooler.

I just cleaned my ac condenser as described in the post. It was extremely difficult to get too, primarily due to the lack of space to remove bolts from the fan housing and the bracket securing the air cleaner. Probably has taken me 6 hours just to get it apart. It sounds easy to do but it isn’t.

I’ve also decided to stop field mowing with the Toolcat- just too much damage, headache and heartache to the machine.

I’ll either have buy a tractor or hire the job done.