ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #11  
I'm glad to find this group. My toolcat (B, I think) also has a problem in that it can't hardly pull itself up any incline. I'm at about 300 hours and the problem has been getting progressevely worse. In fact tonight it wouldn't even start moving in high range on my level driveway. Mowing up any incline (in low range or work mode of course) seems to slow the blades enough to detiorate the quality of the cut. I don't think my problem is solely secondary to overheating as the issues are present even when the machine is just started and still cold. I'm hopeful that the shop canfind the problem, I don't see how they can overlook it at this point. My coomon sense tells me the problem must be in a main hydraulic pump as all systems seem to be affected. Any suggestions welcome.

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #12  
Welcome to the forum, FordT. Looks like you're having the same problem several of us are. Keep an eye out on this forum because when somebody gets a good answer, I'm sure it will show up here. You can then take that information to your shop in case they haven't already found the problem.

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #13  
there are a number of possibilites. one you should rule out is brass clogging the filter. a small number (per bobcat) of early c and i think possibly later model b tc's had bad drive motors. they released brass into the system clogging the filters. this is rare but easy to check. total hydraulic failure would then occur as you are describing. just open up you filters. usually they would have found something at your earlier filter changes. it is probably something else but this is one known issue.

ts

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue
Hello, everyone, from Gadgetnut. Thanks again for all the good input. I have been busy with other projects and only today had time to pursue this. Good news, I cleaned the radiator and the symptom is instantly gone. Like others, I had been blowing out the top of the radiator screen, not tilting up the radiator and cleaning underneath. When I tilted the radiator I discovered a seven inch wide foam pad that is intended to isolate the side of the radiator area had instead migrated to directly on top of the radiator, clearly obstructing about a third of the surface area. The rest of the radiator area was dirty. I reinstalled the foam correctly, cleaned everything well, and went back to business. The symptoms that caused me to initiate this topic, namely poor tool power and poor motive power are completely gone. Today I mowed six acres with the near finish mower and I was mowing uphill, downhill, in every direction. I think I had grown accustomed to subpar performance because today I had a big grin on my face and the responsive machine reminded me of when it was new. Moreover, I had coincidentally put on new mower blades a couple weeks ago and hadn't noticed any improvement in the cut. But today I see a huge improvement in grass cut quality... the lawns are especially beautiful, actually. I have a lot of work to catch up on and will be using a half a dozen different tools over the next few days. If I have any other observations I'll report here. Once again, thank you all.

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #15  
Don't forget to also clean in between the radiator fins with air pressure. When I did this I noticed quite a lot of dust coming out.

On the other issue, I took my Toolcat back to the dealer and this time warmed it up myself until it was exhibiting the problems I saw. I then had the service guy get in the driver's seat. I had him keep the engine revs to about 1200 rpm and asked him to move forward. He stepped on the pedal and nothing happened. He then revved up to about 1800 rpm and the Toolcat lurched forward sporadically and only moved forward smoothly when he revved up to 2400 or 2500 rpm.

He tells me that they wouldn't have seen this when they had it in the shop before because their normal practice is to start up the machine and go to full throttle before starting any work. Do you all agree this is the way the machine is normally used? I mow at full throttle, but I can't image trying to use the loader or grapple at full throttle. Anyway, he agreed that it shouldn't be behaving that way, even at low revs, so he going to get with Bobcat to see what's wrong.

The last time I had problems they replaced the hydraulic portion of the pump, but not the hydrostatic. I have a feeling that this is part of the same problem as previously but just wasn't in bad enough shape at the time and has gotten progressively worse. I've had the problem of the pedal not responding to forward motion for a long time. But previously I could shift it into reverse, move back slightly, and then it would go forward normally. But that remedy doesn't work anymore. After the engine is warm, the only way it will move forward is at high revs.

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #16  
When you lose power, how does your machine behave? My machine simply won't move against resistance. It doesn't spin the tires, this is not a traction issue. At full throttle, my engine runs approx. 2900 RPM when I press the hydrostatic pedal the engine speed drops as little as 9-20 RPM again with no driving force. Lately it seems my mower deck also stops but I didin't notice this at first. I can't believe I'm getting even a small fraction of my 55 hp to the ground without dropping more than 9-20 rpm. My engine isn't taxed at all. Agree?

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #17  
Word form the shop is that my drive motors are bad and will be replaced by the factory execept for labor, tax, and freight which are on me.

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #18  
FordT,

Hopefully the drive motors fix your symptoms. I wonder if both of them are bad or they just replace them as a pair if one fails.

You mentioned that recently your mower was stopping when you experienced the motive symptoms. The motive power comes from a completely separate system than the auxillary hydraulics.

dsb

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #19  
make sure to ask about the potential of any brass in the system from the drive motors. pull off the 2 filters and look for brass. that could also affect your aux hydraulics.

/ ToolCat C Lack of Power Issue #20  
Rolando said:
...and the service guy tells me the hydraulic fuel filter was clogged...
I haven't been adding fuel to my TC hydraulics, maybe that's why I haven't had any problems :rolleyes:

Quite possibly the hydraulic filter is clogged with debris but it doesen't sound like a fuel issue. I am sorry for the sarcasm but I couldn't resist! I hope your issue is resolved soon rolando - I haven't had one issue yet, knock on wood, but I am truely sympathetic for all of your bad luck!

Steve