Toolcat wheels

/ Toolcat wheels #1  

GRASSMAN

I bought a Bobcat SB 200 72'' blower for the Toolcat and it works great! Now need a bit more traction, pretty impressed as it is, but know it can be better.

I need some info. I read here that some are using ''truck tires'' vs the standard OEM tires. Unlike other posters, that are saying they have 6 bolt 5'' pattern, mine is 6 bolt/studs, measures 6'' with a 41/2'' center hole(that is 6'' measuring stud to stud) These are OEM wheels tthat came with my 2003. So where do I find wheels? Ford 1/2 ton? Dodge? Chevy 1/2 ton are 5''. Not sure why the difference?
Thanks

/ Toolcat wheels #2  
I have the same set up and use 900 lbs of sand bags in the bed for ballast. Gives me all the traction I need. My drive is a steep grade.

/ Toolcat wheels #3  
I use 6-hole trailer wheels with LT235 (or 245)-75/15 tires. For trailer wheels I bought new white modulars for around $25/each at a local place that sells trailer parts. Seems to me that the bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5...but I don't remember for sure. I'll try to remember to measure later today and post the results. I'm also chained-up all around. Traction is awesome...especially with ballast. This year I'm not using ballast, though, as traction for my application is fine without it. When I did ballast the TC, I used 9 of those 70 pound landscape blocks.

Update: Tire Size: LT235-75/15 (Load Range C). Bolt pattern: 6 on 5.5. Hole diameter in center of wheel: about 4.25". I use the stock industrial tires for 8 months out of the year and the LT tires with chains the rest of the time. The LT tires/wheels were cheap enough that they are dedicated for Nov-Feb and I don't ever take the chains off those tires...they just live in the back of the shop for eight months. If you want to go with a Load Range D tire, you might have to step up to something like a LT225-75/16. I think they are 29"-30" O.D. Fortunately, 16" trailer wheels are easy to find. Tirerack.com has a boatload of tire dimension data available online. Also, when measuring bolt circle, make sure you are measuring center of stud to center of stud.

Last edited:
   / Toolcat wheels #4  
Could studded tires be used in place of tire chains? Would be less agressive, especially if on cement, asphalt ect. Does anyone even sell studded tire anymore?

/ Toolcat wheels #5  
Could studded tires be used in place of tire chains? Would be less agressive, especially if on cement, asphalt ect. Does anyone even sell studded tire anymore?

Sure, around here you can get them all day long. The last set I bought were at Big-O tires.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat wheels #6  
For the first few years I ran truck tires that were studded on both TC's. They will work if you do not have a steep terrain to navagate. In the end, the studs were not enough and we have gone to non studded truck tires and very agressive chains on all fours. Huge difference...

/ Toolcat wheels
Spud,
Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Been really busy here lately with a lot of snow/ Blower about paid for:thumbsup:. Will check out some trailer wheels to try to finish my set up. THANKS