Tools for the shop you make yourself

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #31  
Von,

You are a man of many dimensions.

Buick

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #32  
Buck, I'll take that as a compliment......I think!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself
I love it. Two engine stands and you can barbecue a Porsche!

Those roller guides that I also occasionally use as casters came from probably the same school of thought as your po' tisserie. I had a gate I had to move in place. I was by myself and all I could do was barely lift up one end at a time.

I had a set of legs that I dropped through stakepockets on the twenty foot gooseneck. They were shaped like an L with the bottom riding about six inches off the ground and the leg facing out towards the curb. I'd put the gate on these standing up beside the trailer.

Then when I'd get to the job site I'd slide a piece of whatever that would fit up inside each end of the gate. I'd let it drop down enough to weld a cross piece. Then I'd lift is off the L one end at a time. The upside down T that was in each end would hold the gate upright. With the casters under it I could move it into place. With shims and this and or that I'd get the hinges in place to weld up. Once it was welded I'd cut off the cross piece of the T. Then I'd keep cutting the piece I'd inserted until it was out and gone.

When I'd show the gate and tell the folks that I'd hung it by myself I'd never fail to get that "rightttttttttt" look.

I probably did that technique ten fifteen times over the years.

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #34  
What would you consider to be a complete junker??

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #35  
Yea, it gets lots of looks when a car is upside down! The best is when the customer sees his car spin around like a chicken on BBQ for the first time!/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif There is a bumper jack on each stand to raise and lower the car. Made from all scrap steel, total cost was about $20.00 for all if it.

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #36  
Von,
Looks good. I have been planing on making one of those. Do you have any problems with the legs not being connected? Most I have seen are connected. How much weight can it support? I have an old Mustang that I am restoring, and have a Ford LTD convertible thats next.[I you want to take a look, go to...<A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.com/s1120/myhomepage/auto.html>http://hometown.aol.com/s1120/myhomepage/auto.html</A> ]

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #37  
Von,

I intended it as a compliment.

Buck

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself #38  
Buck, I figured as much!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif... I knew it wasen't about my size, as both you and I are as skinny as wet rats!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Still have to get you over to see the house, hopefully soon!

/ Tools for the shop you make yourself
<font color=blue>Harv, could you please post an image of your gas forge.</font color=blue>

Here you go Wallysue.

There's some more photos I just installed in the photo thread. Theyr'e not of the forge, just fun stuff.

Attachments

• 53-163390-MVC-008F.JPG
    53-163390-MVC-008F.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 477
   / Tools for the shop you make yourself #40  
aah yes, Thankyou for the image and the links. I need to get off my dead butt and build me one. One thing I don't understand is why so many burners are needed. From looking around on the web most people have multiple burners so there must be a reason. Again thanks.