Tires tools to fill tires.

/ tools to fill tires. #1  

gregp

Bronze Member
I want to fill the tires of my TC24DA with rv anti freeze. The 50 below zero stuff. Where can i get the tools to do this with. I believe there is some sort of drill attachment and an adaptor to fit on the valve stem. Thanks for the help.

/ tools to fill tires. #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I want to fill the tires of my TC24DA with rv anti freeze. The 50 below zero stuff. Where can i get the tools to do this with. I believe there is some sort of drill attachment and an adaptor to fit on the valve stem. Thanks for the help. )</font>

You can get a small pump (drill-driven) at WalMart, but I prefer something a little more substancial. I got a Teel chemical pump from W.W. Grainger. It has a replacable rubber coated impeller (comes with 2 extras. I've done dozens of tires and never needed one yet) Pump body is stainless steel. Holds up well to most anything you'll encounter in a tractor tire. Cost was about $65 if I remember correctly.

Schraeder valve adapter is available through NAPA. They have 2 models. One is more of a thing you'd find at a professional tire shop. It screws on the stem, then turns the core out without loosing any fluid (in an already filled tire) It was almost $200. They have a cheaper version. It was about $25. An empty barrel, a couple pieces of garden hose, and you're in business.

I put together a "kit" to do my tires. Pump, valve, hoses, valve core tool, and extention cord, all packed in a dedicated tool box. I spent about $125. Like I said, I've done MANY tires. Much more convenient that hauling to the tire shop. Also, by having everything, when you get a rear flat, you can pump most of the fluid out and save it, before it all runs out on the ground.

/ tools to fill tires. #3  
I've left jugs of rv antifreeze sitting out in the winter and it does freeze solid in subzero weather. I didn't notice any expansion however, so that may be where the pipe protection is. You just might want to do a little research before you go that route.

/ tools to fill tires. #4  
I just got through with filling my tires. You want to check out this thread:

Link

I don't have as much experience as farmwithjunk, but I did buy a conventional tool at Napa ($4.95) and a filler cap that fits anti-freeze bottles (.75 cents) and a hose fitting ($1.75) to use them together as in the thread. Got great results with very little spillage.

MikePA: Please review your message before posting it. It's simple not to create a long link that widens the entire thread. Just insert a descriptive word or two between the {url=http://whatever}<font color="red">Enter words here</font>{/url} instead of the entire URL. Replace parentheses {} with square brackets in previous example. Alternatively, if you use the Instant Markup language URL link, the first prompt is for the URL. The second prompt is for a description. Do not simply paste in the URL again. Type a short description of the link.

/ tools to fill tires. #6  
I got one of those little kits at Tractor Supply to fill my tires(less than $10). The way I got the antifreeze into the tire was I got a 50' water hose and drained it. Connected it to my water faucet and let it run a little just to get a little water in the hose. At the other end of the hose I took a funnel and poured the antifreeze into the hose. When the hose fills up, I connect it to the tire valve kit from TSC and turn on the faucet. I let it run for a while so all the antifreeze empties into the tire. If you can't empy the 1 gallon jug of antifreeze into the hose the first time, just empty the hose and repeat the process. I believe I got the whole jug in one run though. It is a little work, but it's not something done real often and it sure is cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I put one gallon of antifreeze in each tire. doesn't get very cold where I'm at though, so just check what mixture you'll need for your tire capacity.

/ tools to fill tires. #7  
Ok, I did a little research myself on rv antifreeze cause I've been wondering about it's freeze protection. I have the Traveller brand sold at TSC, and it says burst protection to minus 50, not freeze protection. I looked up some manufacturers online, and the formula seems to be 61% distilled water, and 39 % polypropylene glycol. So today I took a cup of it and stuck it in my freezer for a couple of hours, turned to icy slush. I don't know where you live greg, but if you have temps like we do around here, I'd use something else.

/ tools to fill tires.
I live in Alaska. Can i interpret burst protection to mean that it may get slushy but it wont freeze and expand? Would i need total freeze protection? Our average winter temperature is around 20 above with a few days getting -20 or so. That is why i figured -50 rv anti freeze would be a good bet.

/ tools to fill tires. #9  
I'm not sure what to think. I know that jug I left out last winter was froze solid as a rock, with no expansion. I think it was 10 below that day. My opinion, polypropyline glycol will work, just needs to be at a higher concentration than what rv antifreeze uses.