tools

/ tools #51  
I have looked at those Kobalt tools at Lowe's. They look pretty good. I know they are a whole lot cheaper than Snapon

Billy

/ tools #53  
Hello Sawzall, being a Diesel mechanic myself for 12 years and being self-employed on and off the past 4 I have to say I've been around them all (tool mfg's) I've bought junk and good stuff as well mostly I'm Craftsman, I did and you will too have to buy specality stuff off the trucks, Mac, Snap-On, Matco, etc. I have had good luck with Harbor Freight's "professional" line stuff much better quality than regular HF stuff, had different circumstances struck me my tool selection might be better/different but I could afford Craftsman when I started and have been well pleased with them. Good Luck theres not alot of people that actually want to get their hands dirty to make a living anymore.

/ tools #54  
I can understand that about not wanting to get your hands dirty. Well, not everyday anyway. I was a "mechanic" for about a year and did jobs out of my garage for a number of years. I used build motors and trannies for my own racing hobby, a couple circle trackers, etc...

Most of the tools I have are Craftsman and I never had any problems except for a one of thier cheaper ratchets. Most of these tools are 15 years old now. I did bust a 1/2 socket here a while back but that was my own fault for using it with an 1/2" air impact....Dohhh!! I'd misplaced my 1/2" impact socket and was in a hurry. Ended up having to find it anyway...LOL!!

/ tools #55  
I have both craftsman tools, and a bunch of odds-n-ends from harbor freight. I'vd found that when working on my tractor, there are a bunch of tools that you run across that you need...once. So I go get a HF tool.. does the job.. then sits in the tool box. Don't think I would trust them if I was a professional mechanic.. but for a tractor owner... can't beat the price ..

Soundguy

/ tools
I agree soundguy,
Things like a ball joint seperator or a harmonic balancer puller can be bought at HF ok. I do like a good set of wrenches and sockets though. Not necessarily a brand name just good tools. I have found the Popular Mechanics tools sold at Wal Mart to be of good quality and quite useable. I also buy some HF sockets, but always impact grade 6 point, they hold up pretty good.

/ tools #57  
Yep.. for instange.. when I did my tie rod ends... I couldn't see paying between 11 - 17 bucks ( napa, sears ) for an item I used to pop out 4 tie rod ends.. and then will probably never do again... I ended up with a 3$ HF one.. and it worked.. now it is ballast in my tool box...

Soundguy

/ tools #58  
sawzall i said look at pawn shops earlier. well yesterday i just happened to stop off at one on the way home. i found a snap on 3/8 drive torque wrench . 40 to 200 inch pounds that had $99.00 on it . i got it for $79.00.
The wrench off the truck would be $206. it was brand new never had a socket on it . had all paper work in a case.
In aviation you need tq wrenches in inch pounds .
the shop had loads of sockets and wrenches in bins. i saw snap on , mac, matco and craftsman all mixed. there were alot of off brands mixed in great for just carry around boxes.

I just thought i would tell of my find and maybe you to will find some good deals. always talk them down . they mark it up and will take less. if they don't find another shop. and try and get a idea of prices before you go so you know your getting a good deal.