Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #1  

topshop

Bronze Member
Does anyone have advice regarding a tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge for a FEL? I want to do some trail building/leveling and break out occasional tree roots. Which would work better? I've used the cutting edge but don't know the uses for a tooth bar and have never used one? Which one should I get, and is a tooth bar equally useful when loading piles of soil, etc? Thanks.

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #3  
I second Mark's comment. For a great value in a basic toothbar, Markham is hard to beat. But for something that will be a bit stronger, check out H&H Sales toothbar .

I like mine.

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #4  
I just put a Markham Welding bolt-on tooth bar on my MF1220. Wow! With just the cutting edge, roots would stall any digging activity. With this toothbar, I can get under the root and rip them right out. I used to have a smaller machine (a Power-trac) and now I'm wishing that I had put one of these toothbars on it. Markham has top-notch customer service...I ordered mine and got it the next day. It bolted on exactly as they said it would. I'm really pleased with the toothbar and the supplier! The price was $200 shipped...very economical.

If you have roots to rip out, get a bolt-on toothbar...you won't be disappointed. Since it's bolt on, you can take it off if you need to move loose materials (if you truly need to).

Dave

Dave

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #5  
I just received my Markham tooth bar friday. They are really nice people to deal with. The bar bolted on OK but I did do some tweeking to get a better fit. I have only played in a old top soil pile with it. I havn't had a chance to put it to good use yet but I went this way because it could be removed easily when I just want a smooth edge on the bucket like for snow removal.

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #6  
I used mine in anger for the first time this weekend, moving some really big brush piles with my Yanmar 1602 to a better place to be burned. So far, I'm really impressed with how much easier it is to do things like this. Before, the bucket would just slide up and over the piles and I had to fiddle with it to get it to push anything. This is so much easier......! Oh, mine's a Markham too. Good bar, good value, great customer service, too.

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge
Thanks for all the helpful comments. My understanding is that some toothbars can be attached over a bolt-on cutting edge. Wouldn't that give the best of both?

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #8  
My tooth bar does bolt over my bolt on edge. FFC, the builder, spaced the teeth so they do not interfere with the bolts of the bolt on edge.

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #9  
FWIW, I don't think Markham makes any that go over a bolt on edge, only welded on edges.............

/ Tooth bar vs. bolt-on cutting edge #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( FWIW, I don't think Markham makes any that go over a bolt on edge, only welded on edges............. )</font>

I don't actually know the answer here...I'd say call them and ask. They custom make each toothbar based on your bucket measurements, so I'm sure they could space the teeth differently as well if that's what's required for it to go on over a bolt-on cutting edge.

Just out of curiosity, why would any use a bolt-on cutting edge? (I can see why a bolt-on toothbar is desirable...you can take it off if you're loading material and don't want to do any damage to the surface underneath with the teeth.) The only reason I can think of for a bolt-on cutting edge is so you can replace it more easily when it's worn. Is there any other reason that I'm missing?

Dave