Toothbar - Markham or JD?

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #1  

Phineas7

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 790
From what I've read the Markham toothbars are extreemly well liked around here, but I think few have the John Deere also.

The JD is $320 plus tax for my bucket (300 loader on JD790).
Seems someone here had gotten the Markham for $289 plus shipping.
I'm about 400 miles from Denton NC, so not sure about shipping.

Any thoughts on how they compare?
Is the Markham worth more than the JD? (or vice versa)
Or is it pretty much equal?

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #2  
From what I've seen the biggest difference is the weight. If you plan on removing the toothbar the Markham is apparently much lighter. I haven't seen this equate to more fragile, there aren't many reports of Markham breakages but I'm sure there's a trade-off someplace. Markham is apparently also fairly flexible on the tooth count and spacing if you'd like something custom.

Of course a JD toothbar and installation is warrantied by Deere if that's important to you, personally the chance of failure coupled with the cost of replacing the entire bucket if needed makes that a non-issue to me.

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #3  
The Deere model is much heavier duty. I did like the sharp teeth on the Markham I had. I just got the Deere because my dealer sold it to me at cost, that made it cheaper than the Markham. JC

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #4  
I also think the weight is an issue with loader capacity. Not so much for the equipment carrying the 300 series loader, but on my 2520/200CX, there isn't that much "extra" lift capacity, so every little bit helps. Therefore, I think I'd rather have the Markham unit, at 75# instead of the JD one which is twice that.

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD?
Roll Tide (my Wife is a Bama grad)!

Good point Runner, Actually the 790 is not busting out in lift power.

I may go take a look at it and get a feel for how heavy it is.

Thanks!

P7

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #6  
I will put Markham's customer service at the top of the list. It just doesn't get better.

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #7  
Markham is definitely very good. but If i got a deal where the dealer threw in a JD one, i would take it.

/ Toothbar - Markham or JD? #8  
If you ever sell it the JD will bring more and sell faster.