Top End Damage - Guidance Please

/ Top End Damage - Guidance Please #1  

BAYOUBENGAL

Bronze Member
Tractor
B3030
Moved from General Owning/Operating

Recently had an incident where a fitting on the cooling system broke and the coolant leaked out. Tractor overheated and seized. I was in a very dusty environment and just didnt see the temp rise. Kubota dealer says new engine is more than the value of the tractor, which they estimated around $7500. A top rebuild $3-4K. But they ran it and once it warmed up it stops running rough. They recommend I bring it home and try to use it.

Any recommendations here? Am I chancing further damage making the overhaul less feasible?

Im selling my property. What would be a fair asking price for it given this damage? It has less than 500 hours on it. Run Amsoil synthetics only...

/ Top End Damage - Guidance Please #2  
Did the dealer check the compression on the tractor? If it got hot enough to seize up it did cause some damage, possible warped head, low compression, main bearings worn and a few other things especially since it runs rough until the engine warms up. If you try to sell it the way it is, I would be surprised if you got half of what the tractor is worth. I would check with local diesel mechanics shop to get an estimate on what they think it will cost to rebuild the motor. A complete rebuild for 3 to 4K seems alittle high to me. Even if they had to remove the front end loader frame, it should take that many hours to split the tractor and do a complete rebuild. A rebuild kit shouldn’t be that much. If it caused damage when it seized, running it can make some parts worse and make the rebuild cost more but you won’t be able to know what all wore unless you know what all the dealer checked when they worked on the motor. Most of this is a work case scenario but completely disassembling the motor and checking everything is the only way to know for sure.

/ Top End Damage - Guidance Please #3  
   / Top End Damage - Guidance Please #5  
...snip...

I'd get it rebuilt by an independent mechanic or if your local high school has a program see if you could pay them to do it.

Or your local trades college.

There are many local diesel shops in my area that would love to work on it for far less than what a Kubota dealer would charge... and do an outstanding job.

I'm sure if you ask around, you'll find the right person/place.

/ Top End Damage - Guidance Please #6  
Or your local trades college.

There are many local diesel shops in my area that would love to work on it for far less than what a Kubota dealer would charge... and do an outstanding job.

I'm sure if you ask around, you'll find the right person/place.

The BIG IFF is still out there.
Run if for some 30-40 hours carefully monitoring temps etc. and sounds.
Having full synthetic oil might just have saved your engine.

As suggested a compression check would be my first step B4 spending many $$'s, also perhaps even an oil analysis.

/ Top End Damage - Guidance Please #7  
Bayuobengal, son has a B2410 with exactly the same scenario. Dealer quoted $7500 - $10K for a complete rebuild. That's more than the 15 year old tractor is worth. This past weekend he bought a new replacement, a B2650 for about $20K with FEL, QH & bucket. Broken B2410 is still sitting, having not decided what to do with it. I'll be watching your thread for good suggestion.
Sorry for your problem, and thanks for posting about it.

/ Top End Damage - Guidance Please
Gem99ultra - IpWhere in middle GA are you? I’m in Perry...