Top Fuel Dragster Facts

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #1  

Chilly807

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
I found this on the 'net a while ago, makes for some eye-opening reading..

ACCELERATION PUT INTO PERSPECTIVE

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows of cars at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin 祖hutes at 300 MPH An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Putting this all into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road
when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

That's acceleration !

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #2  
They truly are incredible.

But just reading the specs, and watching videos on tv dont do them any justice at all.

you NEED to see them in person to truly appreciate the power.:thumbsup:

And they are the loudest engines I have ever heard too. One dragster is louder than even a 5-engine super-modified tractor at a pull:confused2:

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #3  
how much fuel do they consume per run?

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #4  
how much fuel do they consume per run?

Actually glad you brought that up cause I missed it in the OP.

The 11.2 gal/second is not right. It is actually only 1-1.5 gallons per second. They burn 4-5 for the run itself. and 10-15 for the whole show including ideling and burn out.

I cant remember, but I think they only have 15gal fuel cells.

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts
Well, if the facts are correct, full throttle is over 11 gallons per second, so a 5 second run would burn 55 gallons of fuel. Seems hard to believe.

The one that gets me is the last example with the car getting passed by the dragster with 130+ mph to spare. I've gone 130 mph once, and let me tell ya, things are going by in a real hurry. I can't imagine seeing something pass me at that speed that was standing still when I passed it 2 seconds earlier.

And only 540 turns of the crank from light to light is incredible when you think of it.

It must be like being shot from a cannon.

Sean

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts

The 11.2 gal/second is not right. It is actually only 1-1.5 gallons per second. They burn 4-5 for the run itself. and 10-15 for the whole show including ideling and burn out.

Yeah, I was wondering where in heck you'd put a 55 gallon fuel tank on a dragster :confused:

Sean

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #7  
Yeah, I was wondering where in heck you'd put a 55 gallon fuel tank on a dragster :confused:

Sean

Most of the facts you listed are correct and identical to this list, but here is a pretty reputable source Fun facts

I think whatever your source was, they just got the decimal in the wrong place

You are correct though, the speed and power of these things amazing. @ 500cu-in, that is ~8000cc's, and with 8000 HP, that is a whoping 1HP PER CC:confused2: That would meant that the average ~50cc chainsaw would have to have 50HP instead of the 3-4HP it has just to match:confused2: Simply amazing.

And the 540 revolutions per pass is hard to believe until you do some math.

540 revolutions for a 4 second run is 135 revolutions PER SECOND.

135 x 60= 8100RPM average for the pass. So 540 is probabally pretty accurate.

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #8  
And they are the loudest engines I have ever heard too. One dragster is louder than even a 5-engine super-modified tractor at a pull:confused2:

I went to a NHRA event once that also was running the local car guys. The locals were first up and we watched for a few hours. Then the first professional funny car came to the line. As soon as he did his burnout every single car alarm in the parking lot went off. I guess from a combination if the sheer noise and the vibration it created. the parking lot was quite a distance from the track too..

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #9  
They are definatally loud no doubt. But the warmup and tire burning is nothing compared to the run itself. The run is WAY louder than the warm-up. I dont have an answer why, but have heard two different reasons. 1. that they run a lower fuel pressure during warmup, cause max-power is not needed. 2. They only run a 70/30 mix of nitro and methanol vs a 90/10 during the run.

A couple more facts I found about them too....

Their fuel system runs 500-600PSI vs a normal car @ 50-60:confused2:

And at full throttle, the upswept design of the open headers generates an additional 800-1000lbs of downforce:confused2:

/ Top Fuel Dragster Facts #10  

Yep, I think they went a little overboard on their comparison to the 747. A 747 will use about 600 gallons of fuel for start/taxi/takeoff (or around 4000 lb). Each engine produces around 42,000 lb of thrust and the conversion to HP gets a little complicated. Here is the calculation for the 767 engines. Note the turbine shaft HP of a single engine is in the 90K hp range. That makes the 8000 hp of a top fuel dragster look pretty wimpy.

BTW: I don't mean to take anything away from top fuel dragsters. They are amazing! I find it hard to believe that so many people sit/stand so close to them when they are virtual bombs. It's like a crowd sitting around a few lbs of C4, waiting for it to go off.