Top link extension on the tractor.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
On both my L5740 and my L6060, I have had problems with my top link being too short. I have a hydraulic top link, and it is the same length as the top link that came with the tractor when fully extended.

IMG_5196.JPGIMG_5195.JPG

Today, I took the brackets off of the tractor where the top link connects to the tractor and had a welder add some extensions. This seems to have solved the problem. I put one implement on and it seems to work much better now. The back side of the implement can now rest on the ground as it should.

Does anyone else have trouble with the top link being too short? I never had this issue on my New Holland. Maybe my bottom links are longer???

IMG_5260.JPGIMG_5261.JPGIMG_5262.JPGIMG_5265.JPG

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #2  
No - I've had two tractors and no problems with the top link. I can see how it would be possible to get a "wrong top link" on one tractor. Something goes wrong when the unit is manufactured. But on two tractors - and you have them both. Sounds like something else is going on there.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #3  
Yes, on both our L3800 and our MX5800 we have had issues with the top link not being long enough after we installed the Pat's quick-connect system, which puts the 3PH about 4 1/2" farther back from the tractor. I finally found and bought from Tractor Parts, Inc. a top link with a 24” body and a 39” total length, their item # HIU10-0004. It works well. In case you want to try to find one and don't see it on the Tractor Parts, Inc. web site, my order was fulfilled by Reliable Aftermarket Parts, Inc. The plastic sheath in which the top link was delivered had “Atlantic Quality Parts” on it. Also on the sheath was “Top Link 3013-1503, then 3013-1503, and the “Reference Number: JSA1024”. I looked Atlantic up and it has the top links on its web site but is only a distributor and doesn’t sell directly to the public. But on the Atlantic web site you can find out vendors from which you can buy whatever is on Atlantic’s web site.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #4  
I think it's hard to find the sweet spot for t/l length. As many implements as there is, along with their various angle of uses.........
If you find that your extension (for some reason) are not the best solution, you could fab up a longer pivot joint (the tractor end of the t/l) and switch back & forth. The only possible issue I see with your extension is loosing the extra retraction length.:thumbsup:

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #5  
Any other changes/adjustments to the lower arms that would put the ends out farther from the tractor? That is the only time I have heard of problems like this.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #6  
I built an extender for my M9540. Easily pins on and off. I'll look for pics.

/ Top link extension on the tractor.
Yes, on both our L3800 and our MX5800 we have had issues with the top link not being long enough after we installed the Pat's quick-connect system, which puts the 3PH about 4 1/2" farther back from the tractor. I finally found and bought from Tractor Parts, Inc. a top link with a 24” body and a 39” total length, their item # HIU10-0004. It works well. In case you want to try to find one and don't see it on the Tractor Parts, Inc. web site, my order was fulfilled by Reliable Aftermarket Parts, Inc. The plastic sheath in which the top link was delivered had “Atlantic Quality Parts” on it. Also on the sheath was “Top Link 3013-1503, then 3013-1503, and the “Reference Number: JSA1024”. I looked Atlantic up and it has the top links on its web site but is only a distributor and doesn’t sell directly to the public. But on the Atlantic web site you can find out vendors from which you can buy whatever is on Atlantic’s web site.

Thanks for this info. The top link you reference is a Cat 1. Mine is a Cat 2. I'll look on their web site later to see if they have a Cat 2. Also, I use a hydraulic top link. It save me lots of time while on the job. I have not been able to find a longer hydraulic top link that will fit my Kubotas

Any other changes/adjustments to the lower arms that would put the ends out farther from the tractor? That is the only time I have heard of problems like this.

No changes. Everything is standard from the factory.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #8  
I have a very similar issue. I've got a L5740 that I put Pat's on. Had to order a longer TL. I just got an M7060 and plan to put Pat's on it.

I figured someone must have figured out a good solution and found this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/105421-extended-top-link-pats-ezchange.html

I am learning to weld and this looks like a great project for a beginner. I've a friend that owns a shop and he can cut the steel for me.

I'm surprised that these adapters are not readily available.

OP, the factory TL on both my tractors has one end that is cat 1, the other is cat 2. The pin attaching it to the tractor is cat 1. If using on a cat 1 implement, a bushing is required. The longer TL I ordered (off Amazon) is cat 1 on both ends. It works with almost every implement I have. My disc requires a cat 2 connection but, luckily, the factory TL is long enough for it.

Some measurements I recently took:

L5740 factory TL = 21.25 - 33
Replacement claims 29 - 39 (I didn't take it off to measure)

M7060 TL = 19.5 - 28.5

I've recently ordered hydraulics from Fit Right. Looking forward to the convenience that will offer.

Last edited:
   / Top link extension on the tractor. #9  
When I ordered a T&T kit from Fit Rite for my L3430, I purposely ordered a top cylinder 4" longer than recommended. I did this to compensate for the Pats quick hitch system on the tractor. It turned out to be a good decision since the top link cylinder length works fine on both my L6060 and MX5800. the tractors have Kubota's telescoping drag link ends so the Pats system isn't that useful.

I have never had an issue with the top link being too long with any of my implements on either tractor. Within reason, longer is better IMO.

In any case, it looks like you solved your problem with the extension.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #10  
On both my L5740 and my L6060, I have had problems with my top link being too short. I have a hydraulic top link, and it is the same length as the top link that came with the tractor when fully extended.

View attachment 554857View attachment 554858

Today, I took the brackets off of the tractor where the top link connects to the tractor and had a welder add some extensions. This seems to have solved the problem. I put one implement on and it seems to work much better now. The back side of the implement can now rest on the ground as it should.

Does anyone else have trouble with the top link being too short? I never had this issue on my New Holland. Maybe my bottom links are longer???

View attachment 554859View attachment 554860View attachment 554861View attachment 554862

It looks like you have a top link with an 8" stroke. There are many different stroke top links available as well as overall working lengths. It is not a one size fits all type of thing.

For your models of tractor I typically supply a 12" stroke unit having a working length of 23 1/4"- 35 1/4". This seems to work well for the cat 1-2 L series tractors as well as the MX series machines.