Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float?

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #11  
Old thread, but, if one has a DPCV top cylinder and needs a float function, would it not be possible to install a manual bypass between the cylinder's ports with a shut off valve between them? For normal operation the bypass is closed and the pilot check valves lock up the cylinder to eliminate creep. For float operation with tractor running, or to lower an implement or manually position the top cylinder with the tractor off, the bypass valve is manually opened.

bumper

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #12  
Old thread, but, if one has a DPCV top cylinder and needs a float function, would it not be possible to install a manual bypass between the cylinder's ports with a shut off valve between them? For normal operation the bypass is closed and the pilot check valves lock up the cylinder to eliminate creep. For float operation with tractor running, or to lower an implement or manually position the top cylinder with the tractor off, the bypass valve is manually opened.

bumper

Possible, yes. But the fittings, lines and valve will need to rated for pressures at or above 3000psi-no Home Cheapot parts here from the plumbing isle.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #13  
Possible, yes. But the fittings, lines and valve will need to rated for pressures at or above 3000psi-no Home Cheapot parts here from the plumbing isle.

Agreed. Got most of the stuff to do my top and tilt, both cylinders with DPCV, from SurplusCenter. I did have to modify tilt cylinder, cutting off fittings and welding on new at appropriate angles to fit lift links.

Tilt shown does not have DPCV . . . I installed that later to eliminate creep.

I don't have float on either cylinder, but did add chain to my field mower, so at least for now have no need for float - - can always leave top link disconnected if need be.

bumper

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #14  
I have not seen the need for check valves in my work and while I do have float for the top link I seldom use it. If my valves leaked enough to notice I would fix them.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #15  
I have not seen the need for check valves in my work and while I do have float for the top link I seldom use it. If my valves leaked enough to notice I would fix them.

People that mow a lot with a rotary cutter in rough terrain make use of the float function with the top link. People that smooth things out in general, not trying to have a flat grade use float with the side link.

I have never used float mode with my top link. I don't mow with a rotary cutter. I use float mode with my side link at the 6 different intersections just about every time when I am finish smoothing the 1+ mile drive that I maintain . :cool:

Good control valves = zero need for DPOCVs. :thumbsup:

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #16  
Brian,
My side link can be set to float or be fixed on the connection to the hitch arm. I use it loose for most things including grading. Just yesterday building up a low spot I used this to keep the box blade level as the tractor pitched 15 degrees or better as I drove off the pile. Must have about 2 inches of play in a slot below the lift cylinder if that makes sense.

Sold my MX6 cutter, didn't really need it and was concerned about all the gear box problems that might happen. At any rate this cutter had the float built into it.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #17  
With the slots that John Deere has, you get to be able to allow the implement to move up on each side independently. :cool: John Deere recommends the use of those slots when using a 3pt mower and a roto-tiller. Obviously there are many other tasks that they serve well.

Several of the other makes have slots in the clevis of the side link also, typically only on their larger tractors though. JD has them on the 3000 series and up. :thumbsup:

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #18  
I would have thought all of them have the free play but haven't really looked to verify this.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #19  
I love float on my top link when mowing. I've taken to mostly leaving it in float. Then retracting it a hair to back over ditches & holes. Leaves the tail wheel just off the ground so it doesn't fall in. Gives overall better control than just lifting with the 3pt.

Haven't found a use for the sideline in mowing yet. Float there just means 1 side of the cutter gouged things up as it sags.

/ Top-Link - how to get the benefits of both DPCV and Float? #20  
I love float on my top link when mowing. I've taken to mostly leaving it in float. Then retracting it a hair to back over ditches & holes. Leaves the tail wheel just off the ground so it doesn't fall in. Gives overall better control than just lifting with the 3pt.

Haven't found a use for the sideline in mowing yet. Float there just means 1 side of the cutter gouged things up as it sags.

Float with the side link would never be used with a 3pt rough cut (bush hog)mower. Only for a finish mower that has wheels at all corners. ;)