Top Link Question

/ Top Link Question #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I have 2 different pin holes on my tractor to attach my top link to.
The holes are only about an inch apart, one lower than the other.
What effect does each have on my implements?
sherpa

/ Top Link Question #2  
Lift height of the rear of the attached implement (rotational axis as the lift occurs) and lift capacity. The lower the hole, the higher the rotational angle. When the tail wheel doesn't come up far enough as I lift the rotary cutter to make a turn, I know I have to drop the top link down a hole on the tractor.

/ Top Link Question #3  
Note! I assumed your talking about the tractor side. And my comment is in general for 3 point hitch. Your tractor may have a specific function that I am unaware so my answer comes free of charge.:)

/ Top Link Question #5  
I wouldn't call it similar. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot boom pole!:laughing:

/ Top Link Question #6  
Sherpa, for a more formal answer:

Ref: ASAE S217.12 DEC01 (ISO+730-1:1994) Three-Point Free-Link Attachment for Hitching Implements to Agricultural Wheel Tractors states "Upper link attaching points: ISO 730-1 recognizes that implements worldwide can generally be divided into two classes; 1) those requiring near parallel lift and 2) those requiring maximum tail clearance when fully raised. Clause 4.1.2 for these reasons specifically requires two different upper link points on the tractor."

Section: 4.1.2 "Upper link point Upper link point arrangements shall be provided so that transport pitches of −3° to +3° and +10° to +15° can be achieved with the standard mast height."

Be aware that there is a newer version of ISO 730-1 and you should reference it for any further clarification. I didn't pay the $90.00 to download from ISO.

Also, another good read is Agricultural engineering other topics - Three points hitch: mast adjustement on ASAE S217.12

I am sticking with my answer which is, if your implement doesn't raise far enough in the back, drop the top link a notch on the tractor or if possible, raise it a notch on the attachment mast, same result.

Cheers.

/ Top Link Question
Thanks for the replies!
I read the other discussion link and had a good laugh that no simple answer was offered.
I think I am just going to start using both holes and see what the difference is?
sherpa

/ Top Link Question #8  
Thanks for the replies!
I read the other discussion link and had a good laugh that no simple answer was offered.
I think I am just going to start using both holes and see what the difference is?
sherpa

What does your owners manual say?

/ Top Link Question #9  
My JD 870 also has two holes. The Owners Manual says that if I had the 1070 with draft control the three holes are used to adjust that feature. That's not much help to 870 owners. :-/

Terry

/ Top Link Question #10  
My JD 3320 manual says the following:

For light and medium draft loads: Install center link in BOTTOM hole of mounting bracket. Example of light and medium draft load implements would include a landscape rake.

For medium and heavy draft loads: Install center link in MIDDLE hole of mounting bracket. Example of medium and heavy draft load implements would include a tiller or box blade.

For very heavy draft loads: Install center link in TOP hole of mounting bracket. Example of very heavy draft load implements would include a plow or ripper.

Mine came with the link in the middle hole so I just left it there for my uses.