Topping off wood fence posts

/ Topping off wood fence posts #1  

mstraebel

We just put in 330 pressure treated 5x5" round fence posts with oak board for horse pasture fencing. After tamping, there is a depression around most of the posts. I understand we need to have a mound above ground for water to flow off. What should we use to fill these depressions? Gravel? Sand? Soil? We'll have to haul in product, as strange as it seems, what we took OUT of the hole was not enough to fill the hole, even after the post was added.

Thanks!

/ Topping off wood fence posts #2  
Sounds like cement is not practicle.
Just use well packed dirt. Not gravel as you want the small mound to shed water.

/ Topping off wood fence posts #3  
Sounds like you dug your holes in a new moon phase. You should have dug them during a full moon. More local dirt tamped around the post would be the cheapest and most effective.

/ Topping off wood fence posts #4  
More local dirt tamped around the post would be the cheapest and most effective.

Try not to use any of that cheap imported Chinese dirt. It won't last nearly as long.

:)

Bruce

/ Topping off wood fence posts #5  
I agree with the other TBN members in regard in tamping the dirt.You probably have already done this but another thought that you might consider is the top of the fence posts. Most people, as I do, cut the top of the posts at an angle. The aids in reducing water absorbency and helps reduce rotting. Just a though. Have a Happy Day.:):tractor: