torch guide advise

/ torch guide advise #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well after trying to freehand a torch cut yesterday for some coupons. (read only perfect one was the one done with a grinder) I decided I need to make a guide for it. I have seen on weldingtipsandtricks clamping a piece of angle on, and running the side of the tip against it. I am wondering if I should pick a size, so I can run the nut on the torch along the top edge of the angle, and that will also keep the perfect distance from the work. Is that a good idea? Can it hurt my torch? Is it worth it?

/ torch guide advise #2  
I am wondering if I should pick a size, so I can run the nut on the torch along the top edge of the angle, and that will also keep the perfect distance from the work. Is that a good idea? Can it hurt my torch? Is it worth it?

I've seen guys do that. Also seen guys use a hose clamp on the cutting tip, place the clamp where the screw is on one side or the other so it can run a long the top toe of the angle iron.

Make sure you sand the top toe of the angle iron with some real fine sanding paper / disc, and before each use rub some soap stone a long the toe also.

/ torch guide advise #3  
I've seen guys do that. Also seen guys use a hose clamp on the cutting tip, place the clamp where the screw is on one side or the other so it can run a long the top toe of the angle iron.

Make sure you sand the top toe of the angle iron with some real fine sanding paper / disc, and before each use rub some soap stone a long the toe also.

Great pointers there, Thanks! :thumbsup:

/ torch guide advise #4  
My instructor puts his left hand/arm under the torch as a guide/assist. It seems to work for him.

RC

/ torch guide advise #5  
i have used angle iron on cuts that need to be right.