torch regulators

/ torch regulators #11  
I have what is probably the exact set you have. Bought in '81.
Works great, even if one of the dial covers has a crack.

I'd pay as much (or more) as the others are offering just for the spares.

but I suggest you keep them. If you have torch problems, just replace that.

/ torch regulators
Well ,i'm back from town.Went to see the local welding supply.When i walked in i had my "Craftsman" in hand and asked the guy about setting me up with something of a little better quality.He takes me over to the display models,shows me a Harris outfit for $220+tax.I looked at it,then looked back at mine,compared them side by side.Guess what,same EXACT thing.And i mean exact except where mine says "craftsman" it says "Harris".The casting lines,knurls on the knobs,lenght,everything.Same.
I took the regulator,torch body,and cutting attachment model #'s down
on paper,went back to my local Lowes store and looked at a Harris model torch they are carrying called a "ProKit DLX".This is not one of those "Tote-
Torches" that Harris is selling at Lowes,w/the little tanks.This model has the full size regulators,i beleive a heavier torch body,25' hose,etc.,but you supply your own tanks of course.
Anyway,i pulled out my notes,compared them to the reg.,torch body and
cutting attachment model #'s.Same exact #'s,just packaged a little different.
But,Lowes only wanted $179+tax for theirs.Thats $41 difference,3 miles away from the local welding supply.Both the welding supply and the Lowes
units were single stage regulators.The guy at the welding place said he could send my torch out and have it rebuilt for $50,and i might have to wait 2-3 wks. as he did'nt have the parts to do it.I think he just wanted to make a sale on a new one.Well,i could'nt stand it any longer and i bought the one at Lowes.Pretty nice torch considering it didnt come from the welding supply place.Although its not a true industrial heavy duty torch its good enough for
the average "backyard builder" like myself,and i saved $41 to boot by not buying at my local welding supplier.Its exactly the same thing as my old torch,and that one lasted 25 yrs....As far as the single stage regulators,
i'll be trying it out soon and i'll find out how much diff.there is.
Oh,i'll be keeping the old stuff and i'm going to try to get the parts to rebuild the torch myself for backups,just in case.Sorry guys.
digger2

/ torch regulators
Oh,i forgot to mention,I did price a new Harris torch handle and cutting attachment at the welding supply place.For those two peices,bought seperate
came to,beleive it or not,about $180........got the complete outfit at Lowes for less than that.And i swear it is the same exact thing....same model #'s on the torch handle,cutting attachment,and regulators.Go figure!!!!!!
digger2

/ torch regulators #14  
digger2 said:
Well ,i'm back from town.Went to see the local welding supply.When i walked in i had my "Craftsman" in hand and asked the guy about setting me up with something of a little better quality.He takes me over to the display models,shows me a Harris outfit for $220+tax.I looked at it,then looked back at mine,compared them side by side.Guess what,same EXACT thing.And i mean exact except where mine says "craftsman" it says "Harris".The casting lines,knurls on the knobs,lenght,everything.Same.
I took the regulator,torch body,and cutting attachment model #'s down
on paper,went back to my local Lowes store and looked at a Harris model torch they are carrying called a "ProKit DLX".This is not one of those "Tote-
Torches" that Harris is selling at Lowes,w/the little tanks.This model has the full size regulators,i beleive a heavier torch body,25' hose,etc.,but you supply your own tanks of course.
Anyway,i pulled out my notes,compared them to the reg.,torch body and
cutting attachment model #'s.Same exact #'s,just packaged a little different.
But,Lowes only wanted $179+tax for theirs.Thats $41 difference,3 miles away from the local welding supply.Both the welding supply and the Lowes
units were single stage regulators.The guy at the welding place said he could send my torch out and have it rebuilt for $50,and i might have to wait 2-3 wks. as he did'nt have the parts to do it.I think he just wanted to make a sale on a new one.Well,i could'nt stand it any longer and i bought the one at Lowes.Pretty nice torch considering it didnt come from the welding supply place.Although its not a true industrial heavy duty torch its good enough for
the average "backyard builder" like myself,and i saved $41 to boot by not buying at my local welding supplier.Its exactly the same thing as my old torch,and that one lasted 25 yrs....As far as the single stage regulators,
i'll be trying it out soon and i'll find out how much diff.there is.
Oh,i'll be keeping the old stuff and i'm going to try to get the parts to rebuild the torch myself for backups,just in case.Sorry guys.
digger2

I love it when people say i saved $41 by spending $179 + tax when their problem could have been rebuilt and fixed for $50. :D Good luck with the new torch!!!! :)

/ torch regulators #15  
Why dont you use your old 2-stage regulators with the new torch ?

/ torch regulators
mschech,yep,thats what i'm doing.I tried my new single stage regs. just to make sure they worked,then i went back to my two stage regulators.
I really hated to buy a whole set-up just because my torch was in need of rebuilding, but when i went to check on parts the dealer said he didnt do it himself,and he didnt have the parts on hand.It would have to be sent out and that might take 2-3 wks.(?????)
Anyway there was really no sure way of knowing if it was going to work right after i did get it back.Even if i waited for the parts to fix it myself,its possible it still wouldnt work right.(I've had that happen before !!!) After checking the price of a new handle and cutting attachment at my local welding supply place($180),it only made sense to buy the whole outfit at Lowes for $179.Besides,i can ,and will still order the rebuild parts for my old one soon,so i'll have a backup set.I'm prob. set for life as far as torch outfits go now.
thanks,digger2

/ torch regulators
mschech,yep,thats what i'm doing.I tried my new single stage regs. just to make sure they worked,then i went back to my two stage regulators.
I really hated to buy a whole set-up just because my torch was in need of rebuilding, but when i went to check on parts the dealer said he didnt do it himself,and he didnt have the parts on hand.It would have to be sent out and that might take 2-3 wks.(?????)
Anyway there was really no sure way of knowing if it was going to work right after i did get it back.Even if i waited for the parts to fix it myself,its possible it still wouldnt work right.(I've had that happen before !!!) After checking the price of a new handle and cutting attachment at my local welding supply place($180),it only made sense to buy the whole outfit at Lowes for $179.Besides,i can ,and will still order the rebuild parts for my old one soon,so i'll have a backup set.I'm prob. set for life as far as torches go now.
thanks,digger2

/ torch regulators
I thought about selling what i dont want,but if something goes bad later,
i know i'd kick myself for getting rid of it.So i'll just keep it.If i did decide to sell it,i'd just sell it to one of my friends,with the understanding that the torch needs rebuilt.Besides,i dont want anything to do with Ebay.
Thanks for the suggestion though,..........digger2