Torches for occasional use?

/ Torches for occasional use? #1  

Matt_Meiser

Silver Member
I'm thinking about picking up some torches for occasional use. Main use would be cutting stuff I can't cut with my 4x6 band saw or sawzall (i.e. cutting plate, esp. into shapes) and heating. Would one of the small portable units like the Harris Port-A-Torch be sufficient for this need or would I be wasting my money?

Also any comments on the similar item at Harbor Freight?

/ Torches for occasional use? #2  
Harris is a good name in torches. Too bad you don't live closer to me, I have a set for sale for a hundred and fifty bucks.
Jim

/ Torches for occasional use? #3  
MrJimi said:
Harris is a good name in torches. Too bad you don't live closer to me, I have a set for sale for a hundred and fifty bucks.
Jim

Can they be shipped. I mite could talk my wife into that deal.
Is it the exact same setup as in the link above.
Do the tanks have the paperwork for them.
Nobody around here will fill tanks without the paperwork showing ownership.
TSC will but the tanks have to meet their criteria.

I have an old set of tanks that are probably out of date and I have no papers for.
These are big tanks. Acetalyne tank is about 4 ft tall. Oxy tank is about 5 ft tall.
Wish I could find someone to swap them out with for full tanks.
I'd pay for the gas and the testing fees and maybe a little extra.
After I get them swapped out and get new tanks TSC will handle them then.

Pooh Bear

/ Torches for occasional use? #4  
My set is similar to the one in the link, but it's Victor compatable. Just means I can use Victor parts and assesories. If you buy the Harbor Freight model, be sure you can get tips for it. I was told that they don't fit off brands and are hard to find, but I don't know this for sure.

My bottles were brand new when I bought the kit. The welding supply company that I get my gas froms took them and gave me replacement bottles. No paperwork, they just take the brand new ones and give me old ones with gas. When they are empty, I get another old bottle. Sometimes teh gas bottle has a valve on it, some times it takes the little square wrench.

It works great for small prjects, cutting off bolt heads or metal, but not for heating up thick stuff to bend. You just can't get enough heat to bend large half inch stock very well. I like how portable it is too. I've carried it out to my dozer to cut off a bolt that wouldn't come off when I broke down. That alone really made it worthwhile.

Eddie

/ Torches for occasional use? #5  
PoohBear, I don't think they can be shipped reasonably. The cylinders would be the problem. Sorry
Jim

/ Torches for occasional use? #6  
I bought a new Harris set recently and am happy with it. I looked at the HF and some of the other cheapos on eBay and thought they looked OK, but I went with the Harris because I know I can parts for it locally. The problem with these small torch sets is that the bottles are not big enough - especially if you are using a rosebud to heat with. I am seriously looking at one of those Chinese plasma cutters - they are (almost) getting cheap enough to consider and that would do a far better job for cutting plate than a torch IMO.

/ Torches for occasional use? #7  
Around here, you buy the torch set and lease the bottles, then pay a flat fee for the gas each time you swap and empty. The leases are transferable. In 1975, I bought a heavy torch set and 15 yr balance of a lease for $275. Worked out the torch cost me $25 over what the lease was worth.

I've renewed it for 10 yrs twice, and can't recall what the lease cost was.

If you check with your local welding supply place you can find out what the gas costs are.

ron

/ Torches for occasional use? #8  
In Florida, I use Holox and they charge you to fill the cylinders and swap them out, no lease and if you wanted a larger bottle they would be happy to sell you a larger one. You will use more oxygen as compared to acetylene
Jim

/ Torches for occasional use? #9  
Matt_Meiser said:
I'm thinking about picking up some torches for occasional use. ...

You really have quite a few options if you're going to be just cutting or heating. If you can get a HF type cheap unit that has the cutting capacity you want on sale and/or with coupon, it's hard to beat. Replacement parts or tips is nice but, with my occasional use for the last 30 years and my dad's before, I can't remember wearing out a cutting tip or really needing more than one. Also note, you can do some bronze or silver brazing with the cutting torch, not really recommended but i do it all the time cuz I'm too lazy to change to a welding tip. Great when a welder won't quite do.

With your use, you have the option of using propane for fuel too. You'll need an adapter fitting and most recommend a propane cutting tip ... For my occasional use, I use a plain acetylene tip and it works fine. If money is tight, not buying an acetylene bottle might get you a bigger oxy tank.

/ Torches for occasional use? #10  
As Eddie says the small ones are very handy. But small has some drawbacks. Since you mention cutting, it's the cutting that uses a lot of O2. You can get going and quickly run out. I mostly see these sets used by plumbers and AC guys, mostly just heating copper, no cutting.

I bought a set years ago with a B tank and 80 O2 tank. Size not to big but hold a lot more air. Mine has/had the little Uniweld gauges, they handled everything I tosses at it.

Good luck,
Rob