Torn Between Two Tractors.....

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #1  

mono

I am between the ck20 and 1914. I understand hst or not.
Need some help with performance and service aspects.
I mow approximately 2 acres and have horses on another 2 acres.
Not many trees to contend with. Need something to move the manure, snow, gravel, and light site work.
Looking for advice from the 'experts'.
Thanks.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #2  
HST

Both appear to be nice tractors, I looked at Kioti last summer when I was shopping, the dealer was too many hours away for me to consider them but I really wanted to look. I'd trust a Kioti they seem to be quality machines and are very nicely priced.

That said, you have 4 acres, you have loader work, you want to mow. Loader work is much easier with HST. Mowing is easier to much easier (depending on how many obsticals you have to mow around) with HST.

Buy HST. Either tractor size will do the jobs on 4 acres with ease.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looking for advice from the 'experts'.
)</font>

Well that leaves me out ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Either machine should easily handle the work you posted.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors.....
What about service and maint. to an HST vs non?

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #5  
HST units on tractors require about as much service as an automatic transmission on a car. Gear transmissions on a tractor require about as much service as a gear transmission on a car.

Basically there is minimal to no service needed. My Cub is 10+ years old, never had anything done to the hydrostatic transmission. My Kubota with HST is 4(?) years old, never done anything to that tractor other than suggested maintainence. My NH is only 8 months old, nothing to do other than routine stuff.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #6  
I guess my step mom says it best...
Look at it this way. If something was to happen, forcing you or your loved ones to unload these machines RIGHT NOW, the CK 20 would bring you more money up front. That is assuming that you got into the machine without getting "backwards and upside down" in the first place.
There is not a thing wrong or undesirable about the 1914. Its just the CK 20 would be more marketable in a "distress" type of situation.
Here is another example.. You can go out and buy you a 1/2 ton, short bed, single cab, "stripped down" pickup. I'm talking about a 3 on the tree, standerd shift, no A.C, no power steering, bla, bla, bla,... It might fit you like a glove, just what you want. BUT -- chances are you will not get a dime for that thing latter on. Most everyone will demand a bigger engine, bigger pickup, automatic, with all the works.. I know I do.
Both the 1914 and the CK are good machines and will do what you need. Try to look 5 years down the road.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Buy HST. Either tractor size will do the jobs on 4 acres with ease.

)</font>

I too would go with the CK20.

RedDog

/ Torn Between Two Tractors.....
Great comments guys. That's what this site is about. The different perspectives are what I am looking for. It's a big investment. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #9  
Test drive comparisons before you buy helps.

/ Torn Between Two Tractors..... #10  
Mono, I have a CK20HST with 32 hours now and it does great work. It will more than do what you need to do. I have the LK120 loader, a 48" box blade with rippers, Brush hog, Boom Pole, and my Backhoe is backordered. I have used all of the other equipment and so far this tractor performs well. I have done nothing for service other than greasing the loader and mower a little after each use, no big deal. At 50 hours you will change most of the fluids and filters, getting rid of the NEW metal residue that all new tractors will have. The CK20 is pretty fair on the fuel, I think it uses about 1 gallon every 11/2 to 2 hours. The pulling power in 1st range is excellent and can be done in high as in using the mower on a straight away. It has a speed lever set for doing those long runs or roading the tractor, position control lets me set where I want my implement, and it stays there. I tried out a used LB1914 which led me to buy this new CK20. It was a good tractor, but the HST has made all the difference with my loader work and mowing. Either tractor is a good buy, but I'd go with the CK again, ANYDAY. John