Torn between two trailers

/ Torn between two trailers #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have sold my older 20' trailer and am getting ready to buy a new trailer. My truck is a 2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax. I have it narrowed down to two trailers.

1. A PJ Wide Tilt Trailer. It is 83 inches between fenders, 102 inches wide drive over deck. It is a 14000 GVWR trailer and weighs in at 4200 lbs. It is a very nice tilt trailer with a nice price on it as well.

2. A BigTex drive over trailer that has a 96 inches width. It is a 9990 lb. GVWR trailer. Not sure the exact weight of the trailer. It is also a very nice trailer and a smaller price tag.

Both trailers are wide and have a low profile. These two items are what I am looking for in my next trailer purchase and both meet it.

I am worried that the PJ Trailer with my heaviest tractor (around 6500 lbs with loader and bush hog) might be to much for the truck when adding in the weight of this trailer. The dealer thinks it will be fine. Does anyone on here tow their tractor with a 3/4 ton truck using a 14000 GVWR trailer?

I am worried that the BigTex trailer might not be enough trailer for my heaviest tractor. It has 5200 lbs. axles with D rated tires. Should this be a concern or not? Does anyone on here tow their tractor with this type of trailer?

My biggest concern is safety on the road when hauling my equipment. Before I spend my money I want to make sure I get it right. I want this purchase to last me a long time. I am sure I am missing some information and I am sure someone will let me know.:laughing: Thanks in advance for all the expert advice I am about to receive concerning my dilemma.:thumbsup:

/ Torn between two trailers #2  
Trailer weight + load - tongue weight (8-15% of total) needs to be below the combined axle rating. By 20% or more if you dont want to beat up your equipment by pushing it to the limit.

My 14k 22' deckover power tilting deck weighs 4k lbs all by itself. Leaves me 10k lbs for a load. Tractor is 5k, heaviest impliment is pushing 2k. My trailer is a bit heavy, but a 10k trailer is probably north of 3k. Very little room if you haul an impliment or 2 with that tractor before you eat into a reasonable safety margin if not legal limits.

Tow rating on my 2005 F250 is 12,000lbs so that & the GCVW are the upper limit of my legal towing limits rather than than trailer capacity. My 11k of junk behind the hitch pulls well, but I'm not to excited to push it much further.

/ Torn between two trailers #3  
Added a photo 20180618_122123.jpeg

/ Torn between two trailers #4  
Often the limiting factor on a 3/4 ton diesel is the payload available. Take the hitch weight and people in the truck will often exceed the payload even though otherwise it’s within the towing limits. If it’s a bumper pull is your hitch a class 4 or a 5. If it’s a class 4 you should be using a WDH with it.

/ Torn between two trailers #5  
I have an 07 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0 gasser. It is the classic body style and rated at 300 HP with a GVWR of 16K and a towing rating of 10K. I don't know the specific specs of your Duramax but I would guess it to be either 10K or 12K towing capacity. If your load is 6500# and if the trailer weighs 4200# you will be OK.

/ Torn between two trailers #6  
I have a 20' 10K car trailer. I did upgrade the tires on the trailer to 16" rims with LT tires rated at 3000+ lbs per tire. It weighs close to 2700lbs with the heavier tires. I haul my JD5055E on it. with the FEL and an implement on the rear it's close to 8000lbs. I have no issues with it. I would like to sell this trailer and get a 22' 14K trailer, but it was cheap and does 90+% of what I need. I can use my GN when I need more.

016.JPG

007.JPG

I am not a fan of tilts, but that's up to you. I do like fold flat ramps that can be locked upright like the PJ monster ramps and the BigTex mega ramps.

/ Torn between two trailers
OK, I have been researching the dickens out of the trailers near me. I have added a 22 foot to the mix. I measured my 841 with the bush hog and it is almost 20 feet long. I am now debating about going with the 22 foot trailer. It is a Bigtex 14DF. The 20 ft trailer I just sold was always tight when I had my bush hog on there. I always had to get it just right to be able to put the ramps up.

This will not be a problem if I go with the tilt trailer, but I am having second thoughts on the tilt style. I keep wondering how far I will have to drive up the tilt style when the bush hog is on the back of the tractor before it starts to tilt down (No loader on the 841 so it will be heavy in the rear). This is turning out to be a tough decision for me to make.

/ Torn between two trailers #9  
My 12K rated Hudson equipment trailer weighs 2K, so it has a payload capacity of 10K.

Are you sure about that unless it’s like 8 feet long?