Torque on nuts.

/ Torque on nuts. #12  
Use a fish scale on a long lever arm. I wouldn't count on that electric impact getting anywhere in the ballpark of 640 ft lbs regardless of there claims. I'd be surprised if you can get 250! A bigger problem might be how to keep the shaft from turning. 640 is a lot of torque for us average joes.

/ Torque on nuts. #13  
I'll have do some searching. Now I'm curious about real world toque on impact drivers.

/ Torque on nuts. #14  
I'll have do some searching. Now I'm curious about real world toque on impact drivers.

To put the claim of 700 with a 1/2" electric in perspective, when we used 3/4 A325 hex bolts in the steel business we rattled them with a 3/4 drive air impact to get them to roughly 350. We use a Skidmore to establish the relationship between torque and proper tension. If I remember correctly a 3/4 A325 was to be torqued to achieve 27,000 lbs of tension. The torque/tension relationship would be impacted by thread cut, lubricant, etc.. Here, we are talking straight up torque and there is only one way to achieve it.

Weight X arm = moment

If there are electric guns able to achieve those numbers I'd sure be interested in getting one.

/ Torque on nuts. #15  
My Harbor freight cordless impact is rated at something like 1100 foot pounds. It's a far fetched at best claim. Although the HF gun is pretty stout. It failed at taking the lugs off my Kodiak. A 3/4 air gun with high flow fittings and hose also failed. I finally got my hands on a 1" gun and it did it with about 5 hits.

/ Torque on nuts. #16  
I believe the electric impacts can reach their rated torque under specific test conditions, but not my real world experience. My largest disk has 1 1/8 " coarse thread. Torque is supposed to be 550. I can hammer for a minute after its tight, then get out my 2.5 foot 3/4 drive ratchet, step on the end (I'm about 210 in work clothes) and get another 1/4 turn.

/ Torque on nuts. #17  
I believe the electric impacts can reach their rated torque under specific test conditions, but not my real world experience. My largest disk has 1 1/8 " coarse thread. Torque is supposed to be 550. I can hammer for a minute after its tight, then get out my 2.5 foot 3/4 drive ratchet, step on the end (I'm about 210 in work clothes) and get another 1/4 turn.

I agree but I'd love to know how they can make those claims. Since torque is a moment it seems to me it will either do it or it won't. I don't think changing the test conditions changes the moment but maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Changing things like thread cut and lubrication would change the tension in the bolt for any given torque but it doesn't change the moment.

/ Torque on nuts. #18  
It's probably breakaway torque in ideal conditions. That or just flat made up like shopvac HP.

/ Torque on nuts. #19  
wow, I'm faced with exactly the same problem with my new Kubota F2690 mower, they want 650-700 pounds to tighten the mower bolts.
And I have the 700# rated Earthquake air gun, and wondered if that would cut it.

Most importantly..........do all air guns have more removing torque than tightening? What happens when you let it whang all the way in, and then the gun can't unscrew it???

I have a HD 3/4 inch socket set, guess I'll need a torque multiplier for that.

This somewhat begs the question, why do these nuts need to be put on so tight?

/ Torque on nuts. #20  
My Harbor freight cordless impact is rated at something like 1100 foot pounds. It's a far fetched at best claim. Although the HF gun is pretty stout. It failed at taking the lugs off my Kodiak. A 3/4 air gun with high flow fittings and hose also failed. I finally got my hands on a 1" gun and it did it with about 5 hits.
I had a similar problem, had to get a long breaker bar and my 240lbs. to get some bolts off.
wow, I'm faced with exactly the same problem with my new Kubota F2690 mower, they want 650-700 pounds to tighten the mower bolts.
And I have the 700# rated Earthquake air gun, and wondered if that would cut it.

Most importantly..........do all air guns have more removing torque than tightening? What happens when you let it whang all the way in, and then the gun can't unscrew it???

I have a HD 3/4 inch socket set, guess I'll need a torque multiplier for that.

This somewhat begs the question, why do these nuts need to be put on so tight?

If the gun can't unscrew it then you need to get the nut in a position so you can use a long breaker bar, maybe along with heat. For tightening to 400 lbs I put a 200 lb weight (my son) on a 2' breaker bar AFTER running the bolts on to "snug" with an impact.