Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #1  

Wolfman

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 MF 2706E HST
This might seem like a silly question, but after doing a couple of oil changes on my 5045D, I am still not sure if I am tightening the oil pan drain plug tight enough. New from the factory, it was on extremely tight. Having stripped plenty of things in my past, I have put very little torque on the drain plug when tightening - just a little past finger tight. Since there is no crush washer or anything, I am wondering if I am not tightening enough?

I looked in my manual and saw the 'Metric Bolt and Screw Torque Values' section - but could not identify exactly which bolt was the drain plug. I would like to know how many ft lbs I should torque to. To prevent any issues with stripping the plug out, I would like to use a torque wrench on it once to get a feel for how tight is right for future reference.

Anyone have any idea?

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors
I just wanted to add some information that was in my manual. One of the things that confused me was that I had missed the "Unified Inch Bolt and Screw Torque Values" page when looking in the operators manual. I used a 5/8 wrench to remove the drain bolt. For the lowest grade 5/8 bolt on the chart in my manual it gives the torque values as 49 ft-lbs lubricated and 63 ft-lbs dry. The chart in the manual can be viewed here: OMSJ301049

I have never owned anything before that required 49 ft-lbs of torque on an oil pan drain bolt. I just want to make sure that these torque specs are correct. If they are, my drain bolt is severely under torqued and out of spec. If that is the case, and it falls out while out working - it would be completely my fault. That is what I would like to avoid. On the flip side, I don't want to strip it either!

Thanks for you thoughts...

Last edited:
   / Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #3  
Strange JDparts shows a ring part number R120247 on the drain plug. O-Ring maybe?
Also the specs for the drain plug state 10mm drive size or a little bigger than 3/8" not 5/8"
They also say the threads are 22mm diameter.
I would not torque 49 or 63lb ft, more like 20lb ft.

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #4  
R120247 is a two sided copper oil pan ring, which gets compressed when oil pan bolt is tightened. Replaced mine on my 3029 engine a few years back and that stopped the small leak I had.

Thanks for the help. When changing the oil, I did not notice the ring (R120247), I will order another one just in case when I go pick up new oil and filters. When looking at the torque spec chart, I forgot to look it up by bolt size, instead of the bolt head size. On my drain plug, both my 5/8" wrench and socket fit tight and snug - so I am going to assume the actual bolt size is somewhere around 7/16". If that is the case, the torque specs on the chart actually state 194 in-lbs of torque - which is close to 17 ft-lbs. That makes a lot more sense, and means that I torqued it correctly.

I'm happy I posted this, because I would have never even known about the oil pan ring that is supposed to be snugged up by the bolt. For all I know it is still attached, but did not come loose when I undid the drain plug. I will watch for any leaks and get a new one soon.

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #6  
The oil pan plug part # for both the 5045d and 5210 is R515195. Maybe JD changed the part over time, but to get my plug out I use a 1/2 drive, just the drive no socket attached.

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #7  
I am planning on changing my oil Friday in my 5065e. I was wondering if it had replaceable gasket. Was going to ask at dealer when I get oil and filter. My Honda Civic oil drain plug calls for 29 ft-lbs to seat aluminum gasket and not strip bolt.

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #8  
Torque in technical manual states 52 ft lbs for drain plug.

/ Torque Spec on 5 Series Tractors #9  
JD5210, sounds like your tractor has the same oil plug as I have on my 5065e front hubs and Dana MFWD axle. I checked the oil in those 3 last weekend using 1/2 inch drive head, no socket. I have not looked at my oil drain plug yet but it has to be a hex head like Wolfman is describing since his 5045 is probably identical to my 5065. My 2 front hubs and axle all had solid copper gaskets. Sounds like the oil drain is similar. I don't like to reuse oil plug gaskets but the axles are not submerged in oil. I just snugged them up and no leaks.

Torque in technical manual states 52 ft lbs for drain plug.

Is this true or are you kidding???

I thought I had this all figured out :confused2: