torque wrench recommendation

/ torque wrench recommendation #21  
I have the HF torque wrench and it says its +-5%. That is close enough for me. I have had it for 5 year and use it 2-3 times a week. A couple years ago I found out our mechanics at the airport had the torque wrenches calibrated so I gave him mine to have done. Much to my surprise it was dead on, within about 2% if I remember correctly. For $15 its some of the best money you can spend at HF.

Chris

/ torque wrench recommendation #22  
I have the HF torque wrench and it says its +-5%. That is close enough for me. I have had it for 5 year and use it 2-3 times a week. A couple years ago I found out our mechanics at the airport had the torque wrenches calibrated so I gave him mine to have done. Much to my surprise it was dead on, within about 2% if I remember correctly. For $15 its some of the best money you can spend at HF.

Chris

Not trying to be a smart aleck here, after all it is within specs of HF, but do you really consider within 2% dead on? In my book, dead on means dead on, not plus or minus 2%. I deal with people saying that their measurements are right on all the time, are they, no, a lot of the time not even close.

As far as Harbor Freight goes, what I have found is that their quality varies a lot. Sort of what Dargo said, one set is great while the next is total junk. If you have the time and patience, you can end up with some ok stuff, but if you need it right the first time, you had best buy somewhere else.

/ torque wrench recommendation #23  
My way; it may not suit everyone -

I have a Craftsman beam-type that I bought in high school, near 50 years ago. And a similar SK beam-type from a yard sale, probably similar age. And a HF click-type that cost me $10 back in the day. Maybe 1970's, I don't remember. I recall that it came with a certificate that it met some standard.

They all read identical. I don't trust the HF one so I verify a couple of bolts with the other two torque wrenches a couple of times during each project. All three wrenches have always tested identical. Good enough for government work as we used to say.

I say buy two wrenches. The cheap HF one for convenience in getting the work done, plus a good beam wrench to verify its calibration. Verify at least once per project.

/ torque wrench recommendation #24  
I have a clicker I got from Northern a few years ago. I like it and use it more than I thought I would.

Northern Industrial Torque Wrench — 1/2in., | Torque Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment

How come the tire places don't seem to know what a torque wrench is? They're the first that should! They cause more warped rotors than you can shake a stick at. I do my own tire rotations and when getting new tires from a tire place, always double check and retorque when I get home. They are always way too tight.

/ torque wrench recommendation #25  
I have a clicker I got from Northern a few years ago. I like it and use it more than I thought I would.

Northern Industrial Torque Wrench 1/2in., | Torque Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment

How come the tire places don't seem to know what a torque wrench is? They're the first that should! They cause more warped rotors than you can shake a stick at. I do my own tire rotations and when getting new tires from a tire place, always double check and retorque when I get home. They are always way too tight.

I do exaclty the same thing. The other thing is if you get a flat the lugs may be so tight a automotive supplied wrench may not be enough to loosen them.