Tourque Amplifier ??'s

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s #1  

fluidpp

Tractor
SAME Centauro, Universal 650DT Super
Hi All, I have a Universal 650 and am working through a few issues .. One in particular is the TA. Is the TA used in these old Romanian made, Fiat design tractors the same principal as the ones used in IH Tractors?? This tractor may be better known in the US as "LONG" both made by UTB
I keep my TA in Low range all the time. When in HIGH, it slips when in 2nd or higher, and when in Low range it slips usuall in 3rd or 4th. It will also seem to free wheel when tilling my field going down a slight slope.
Does this sound like something that can be removed and replaced with a shaft??
Any help would be appreciated....Thanks

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s #2  
If the torque amplifier circuit is hydraulic, you may have some contamination in the actuator circuit.

As far as speeding up while going downhill, this is normal. When the torque amplifier is engaged, you lose most of your engine braking on most any tractor I've operated.

When you say "slip", do you mean traction or slipping out of gear? If you mean out of gear... running with the TA engaged will narrow drivetrain lash. If this has been done repeatedly without the gears fully meshed, it wears a shoulder on the faces of the teeth... this causing gear slip.

Did you buy it used?

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s
Hi,, Slipping is in the clutch, not out of gear. Im just not sure if its the main clutch slipping or if there is one in the TA that may be slipping

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s #4  
It's possible.

I've always been told to only run the TA as needed and disengage it once you're out of the bind, for this very reason.

I'm not sure about Long, but the TA assembly on my IH is a ***** to get to... as it's behind the PTO assembly, deep in the axle.

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s
Oh OK.. I think I will try splitting this big old beast. I am pretty sure that the TA is right behind the main clutch, as the clutch housing is about 20" long. and all the TA lever goes in there. I have a hydraulic issue im working on at the moment

The other issue that is keeping me in the shop is the 3 point wont lift. Last season, the unit was working ok, lift was strong, pto was strong, just the clutch slipping a bit, I could live with that, but one day the 3 point wont lift at all.
Power steering works good. The power steering pump and the hyd pump are both externally mounted, and draw oil from the same inlet line and same suction strainer.
So I hooked up a flow meter to one of the hyd valves and tested for flow... NO Flow. FYI On the right side of the seat is 3 BOSHE valves, sandwiched. The one closest to the seat is the 3 point draft, the middle is a two way valve for a implement, and the other valve is a single port valve for supplying hyd oil to say a Loader...
I hooked up the flow meter to the single port valve.
So I assume the pump is pooched..
So I pulled the pump, pain in the butt as all the oil had to be dumped, 60 ish liters, as there is no way to isolate the inlet/filter housing from the pump.
Disassembled the pump. Pump looks in great cond. Re sealed and put back together. Re installed in tractor, installed a ball valve and a TEE so I can drain only strainer and pump for removal. Will take pic and try to post.
I decided to put in new oil, Universal Tractor Fluid, I bought three pales, put them in and no oil getting to the inlet strainer. HMmmmm
I did notice that in order for oil to reach the hyd. inlet it had to be a certain level in the crank case.
I bought another pale of oil and started adding, and wa la the oil is now reaching the pump inlet. I ended up putting 80 liters of oil in....
OK Fired up tractor , power steering works fine, but 3 point still wont lift, not surprising as I really didn't do anything. Got me to thinkin,,, if the oil level was low, and the main hyd pump got starved for a bit, could a AIR LOCK been created???? Im thinkin maybe
OK, no way to test the pump, without going through the valves, SInce the thing is hard piped from pump the valves, I cut the pipe (pressure line), pointed one end in a bucket and fired up tractor. OIl came out like crazy... OK Pump is moving oil.
I have ordered some fittings to connect on to that 18mm metric tubing I cut. I will install a flow meter, pressure gauge, and a needle valve to flow test the pump. Waiting for a couple days for parts..
So I decided to take off all the valves and do a cleaning, maybe a stuck valve or ??. todays project.. When I got the valves off, there were two ports going into the three point case, I assumed one was for pressure oil to lift the three point and one being a return back to sump.
So I put air to them and wala, the three point lifted very easy under air pressure, and the other port did seem to go back to the case sump
I will try to take some pics and figure out how to load them
Any comments or suggestions would be great... OR anyone who is familiar with these Romanian tractors, please chime in Thanks

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s #6  
Given the 3ph lifted on air through the port... I'm left to assume you'll be replacing the valve.

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s
Just a update. I re assembled the hydraulic pump, installed a ball valve with a drain, before the inlet strainer, The pump used to be hard piped to the valves via hard pipe. 18 mm tube. I cut it off at the pump and valve side and used tube "BITE" style fittings, and hosed it with a tee so I could hook up flow meter etc for testing. Anyway, fired it up and hyd pump was putting out 4gpm at idle, reved up a bit went to 7gpm, choked off flow with needle valve and got psi to 1500 and still had 5gpm. That tells me the pump is in OK cond. Hooked to valve bank and 3 point lifts again. I believe that the only thing that was wrong was a air lock in the system. If the crank cases/ hyd oil gets below a certain level it can starve the pump, probly just enough to create a air lock.

/ Tourque Amplifier ??'s
Now for the TA. I was mistaken in previous post. When the TA is in LOW the clutch seems to slip, easier when in a higher gear. When TA is not engaged, IN HIGH, no slipping occurs

So I am guessing that the TA is pooched?? Is their a clutch in the TA? Could it be out of adjustment??

Thanks