Tow Ratings, New Vehicle

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #31  
2010 Ford Explorer can tow up to 7,115 lbs. V6 versions are available that tow in excess of 5,000 lbs.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #32  
We had a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer that the wife drove that we sold in 2005 with 68,000 miles with the original tires. Only thing to ever go wrong with it was a power window motor went out and I had to put front brakes on it. It had the 4.6 V8 and was AWD. It had a tow rating of 6,880# and I towed my uncles Corvette on my tandem axle trailer many times to shows. I had also used it to tow the trailer a few times with building supplies, a hot tub, farm implements, and once on a 300 mile trip pulling my 5,200# tractor. It was a very capable SUV and had plenty of power for the job and room for the family, dog, and luggage.

Chris

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #33  
2010 Ford Ranger can tow up to 5,940 lbs.

Perhaps one reason it's sometimes hard to find tow ratings is because of the many variations. You should see the owners manual for my 2001 Ford Ranger, 4 dr. supercab, 4.0L engine, automatic transmission. Apparently my tow rating is 5,757 pounds but the ratings cover many pages in the manual with the different numbers for 2-WD, 4 x 4, regular cab, supercab, different engines, different transmissions, front area of the trailer, whether or not torsion bars are used (load distributing hitch), and different differential gear ratios.:laughing: The heaviest thing I've towed was a 17' aluminum bass boat, 50 hp outboard, drive on trailer, trolling motor, and all my fishing gear, and you wouldn't have known it was back there without looking in the rear view mirror.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #35  
You must have the only one with a 4.3. Trailblazers, 02 and later Bravadas, and Envoys were only available with a 4.2 L6, a 4.8 and 6.0 V8 [SS package]. The 4.3 V6 was offered in the S chassis SUV up until 2001, after that the switch was made to the Trailblazer and the 4.2 was the standard engine.

i dunno if the original poster was mistaken about what he had for an engine or not, but it is possible he has a trailblazer with a 4.3. before the current trailblazer platform, "trailblazer" was a trim level for the 2nd gen s-blazer platform with the 4.3.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #36  
I realize I'm reviving a year old thread, but this forum usually comes thru with the answer without a LOT of flames and bickering.

As Bird wrote there are almost endless variations on equipment so it's hard to figure how much something CAN tow versus what it's rated for.

I've got the trailer life ratings from 1999 to 2008, so I'm good there, but I'm also looking for older ratings.

On one truck forum (and I don't remember where) there was talk of a data base the state troopers use to determine if your (for example) 1999 Ram 3500 is rated for 10000 lbs or 12000 lbs.

Does anyone know where the complete database is if it exists?

Most of the doorplates I've seen only have GVWR's and GAWR's.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #37  
Best listing I've found is the Trailer Life charts. They are online on their website too. If you are specifically looking for this State Trooper database, it sounds more like lore than reality to me, but Diamondpilot would be the most likely to know around these parts...

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #38  
On one truck forum (and I don't remember where) there was talk of a data base the state troopers use to determine if your (for example) 1999 Ram 3500 is rated for 10000 lbs or 12000 lbs.

There's no database of Tow Ratings since that is a number made up by the manufacturer which has NO legal binding whatsoever. The only LEGAL numbers are the GVWR's, GAWR's and GCWR's, the GVWR must be listed on the vehicle/trailer. The "database" is probably a list of GCWR's since that is what matters and not the "tow capacity". Tow capacity is simply the vehicles actual weight subtracted from the GCWR.

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #39  
I realize I'm reviving a year old thread, but this forum usually comes thru with the answer without a LOT of flames and bickering.

As Bird wrote there are almost endless variations on equipment so it's hard to figure how much something CAN tow versus what it's rated for.

I've got the trailer life ratings from 1999 to 2008, so I'm good there, but I'm also looking for older ratings.

For Ford vehicles, see the annual guides

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2006/2006_default.asp

/ Tow Ratings, New Vehicle #40  
Dmace is right. I can give you a ball park from a book that I have. It will be +/- 300# or so.

Good example is my 2008 Titan. Rated tow capacity is 9,500# but when weighed with me in it and my stuff plus my truck has every option down to the sub woofers and nav/backup camera plus a factory 2" lift I can only tow 9,320# when I weighed it and subtracted that weight form the GCVWR.

I need to know everything about it like year, make, model, engine, rear end, tranny type, 2 wheel/4 wheel, bed, cab, ect.

Chris