tow rope, recovery strap or chain?

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #11  
If it is a work vehicle, and you guys are getting stuck that often, maybe time for a winch?

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #12  
Quote from Tractorman
Where we are working at we get stuck a lot. Usually at least a couple times a day. We have been using harbor freight chains and they have been breaking when we are really stuck.

Most of HF chains are grade 43. They have their uses and I have some but wouldn't use them for pulling someone out of a ditch. I also have a tow strap which I keep on the tractor in winter. If I tow someone with my truck I pull slow and steady with a 3/8" grade 70 chain. I don't like the pull and yank method of a tow strap. Straps may be easier and lighter and cleaner than using chains but I'll stick to my chains for pulling. All chains I own are 3/8" or larger and I haven't broke one in over 30 years and I've pulled everything from a 2K car to a 40K truck.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #13  
I wouldnt touch any of those harbour freight or princess auto china chains or straps. I got a Erickson 3" 18K strap with chains. Works great. Made in Canada.Erickson Manufacturing Ltd.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #14  
one other good method is to get an old hunk of fire hose and slip the chain through that to act as a spring reducer, chains are for PULLING and PICKING UP things and or tieing down logs ect... Straps can be used to SNATCH but only when there is no sharp edges, also the fire hose can work with a strap if it does not have the pre-assembled hooks on the ends...

mark

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain?
If you have to snatch you have too light of a pull vehicle and/or it isn't getting enough power to the ground.

I agree, but what are other options? Our work trucks are identical. They are the same weight. They have good mud grip tires. When one is buried in the mud the other is going to have difficulty pulling it out without jerking due to simple physics.

Hmm - when you were using harbor fright chains - did you use the grade 50 the silver ones or grade 70 gold colored chains? I am curious since I have the gold colored chains for tiedown my tractor on the trailer. God forbid - but if I ever am in a pinch and need to borrow one of my tiedown chains, I want to know the breaking strength of those cheap chains.

The chains we were breaking were the gold harbor freight 5/16" grade 70. They have a specification of 4700lb working load, 9400lb proof test, and 18,800 minimum breaking force. As stated in another post I doubt you could ever break these with a pickup unless you are jerking it which in some cases is necessary to get out.

Another way to do it is to put an old tire in the middle of two chains to act as a bit of a "shock absorber".

This works well and I have done it on the farm but for us it is not practical to haul old tires around.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #19  
In my experience chains will tear things up because they don't give at all. A good tow strap or the tire in the middle (impractical) will give some and provide the extra pull you need when it contracts after stretching. This is why all of "off roaders" use the tire trick. I gave up and put a 2" receiver on the front of my tractor and mounted a winch on a tray which slides into the receiver. Never been stuck since.

If it is a work vehicle, and you guys are getting stuck that often, maybe time for a winch?

One of our main problems is where we are working is wide open farmland or pasture. Very few trees or anything to anchor a winch to. I know they make the anchors you can bury, etc but it really is not that practical. Also winches are expensive and dangerous in their own way. The cables on them can be a pain to deal with if you do not know what you are doing. I like winches for my personal vehicles and they definitely have a place but they don't seem to be the best solution for our problem.