tow strap or chain?

/ tow strap or chain? #21  
It sounds like your buddy used a 'recovery' or 'snatch' strap. Those are designed to stretch then 'snatch' the vehicle being recovered. If he had it on the tow vehicle and the chain on the vehicle being recovered, stretched that out and then the chain came loose on the far end he's lucky to be able to tell the story. The problem was not the two different materials being used together. The problem was he didn't have the chain properly secured to the vehicle being recovered. Operator error, plain and simple.

I've used straps and chains together on any number of occasions without any problems. The hooks on my straps close around whatever you put in them so slack doesn't cause anything to come unhooked.

Heck, I've used straps and chain and CABLE together with no problems. The key is how you connect them together and secure everything. Tying a knot in a strap over a hook on a chain or putting the loop on a strap over an open hook is not the answer. Towing and recovery is serious business. If you don't do everything right, someone's going to get hurt. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, get help or hire it done.

I'm as much for self-sufficiency as anyone, but this is serious business. I've seen a cable break under a load and cut through all the glass and three of the four pillars on a class 6 recovery vehicle. The only thing that prevented a tragedy was the grace of God. The driver was standing on the opposite side from where the cable came back. Had he been on the other side of the bed, he'd have been cut in half. As it was, he was lucky, Most of the energy had been absorbed by the cab and the operator was left with only a broken arm and bruised ribs.

I know it's not cheap to call a pro out but it's not cheap hiring everything done after you lose a limb or two, either.

/ tow strap or chain? #23  
Way back when I used to work in the oilfields. The trucks all had tow ropes with chains at the ends. After numerous cases of metal flying through windows and radiators all the chains were removed and tow hooks were installed on the vehicles. It alleviated the problem a little but broken rope could still make its way through a window. This was exspecially feasable if two ropes were hooked ogether. The mass of rope where the two loops were looped made for a real good impact.
The operators were backing trucks bumper to bumper and taking a run when trying to pull out vehicles. It finnally resulted in the operators having to call a tow truck when they got stuck but the tow ropes remained. The radio calls could be interesting when someone who was stuck was calling for a tow without calling a tow truck.

All equipment must be used in a sensible fashion or something will break.

Egon

/ tow strap or chain? #25  
The strap is the way to go.

I have been using the same strap for pulling trees, stumps and brush for 3 years now and it still works as well as day 1.

With the strap, you don't have that instant pull you get with a chain. It is also alot easier to carry around -- unless you are into weight lifting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tow strap or chain? #26  
Be carefull pulling with that strap. It can stetch enough to break and slingshot back at you to give you a pretty good shot.

/ tow strap or chain? #27  
If you are going to be dragging stuff like large trees and brush piles I say chain. The strap will rub on the ground and rocks and will wear out in time. I have gone thru 3 straps in the past year or so. The chain works great but is heavy to carry around. I keep a strap on the tractor just in case I need it but if I know I will be doing some heavy work I break out the chain. I recommend both.

Steve

/ tow strap or chain? #28  
Interesting....I am using an 85 HP Tractor to pull all sorts of trees, stumps, etc., and my strap has yet to break. Are you guys buying the correct strap? I can't see how your compact tractors could pull hard enough to break one (unless you tore the strap to weaken it).

/ tow strap or chain? #29  
For what it's worth, I tried a tow strap to pull out some big, unwanted (is there any other kind?) multi-flora, and quickly learned that when the roots "give" the elasticity of the strap launches them at you. The chain I bought (grade 70 transport chain, 20' of 5/16" chain, rated at 4900 lbs working load, $30 at Lowes) works just fine, and no ducking. I'd say chain for pulling at anchored loads, no question!

/ tow strap or chain? #30  
You just hit the nail on the head...people don't check for fraying like they should and if they do check they might misidentify a failure point. If the strap is in good condition it will most likely tow what the manufacturer says it'll tow. However, there's a greater possibility of damage to a strap than to chains given what this person wants to do with it.