Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages?

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #31  
Ken Sweet, can a double axle 8' Brillion be converted to a three point hitch - if so, picture, please - or have an axle with wheels mounted up top to flip over (too heavy?)

PLUS, where do you get Brillion parts these days?

Thanks.

It is difficult to put a 3 point on a double because of the way they were engineered when built. If you have the Brillion part # we can get the part for you, if it has not been retired? Thanks, Ken

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #32  
Ken Sweet, what about mounting an axle/wheels on top to flip over? Thanks.

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #34  
Ken Sweet, can a double axle 8' Brillion be converted to a three point hitch - if so, picture, please - or have an axle with wheels mounted up top to flip over (too heavy?)

PLUS, where do you get Brillion parts these days?

Thanks.

I'm not Ken but I know the answer. See the picture a few posts earlier #28-- and that's how you make it a 3-pt hitch. Cut the hitch off and build as shown. It'll be heavy so be able to lift it..

Brillion parts are available from any dealer--and only any dealer--of their stuff. Go to their website and find something close to your model for the parts numbers. Yours will likely be under "archive". Some places sell over the net and prices vary.

I'm pretty sure Ken Sweet is a dealer and better to do biz with someone like him that we already know.

Just my two cents.

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages?
I am going to the Sunbelt Ag. Expo in Moultrie, Georgia October 16-17-18, 2012. I will be there one of the three days.

At top of my shopping list is a CULTIPACKER.

I am in North Florida. Sandy-Loam, only rocks soft limerock.

My tractor is a Kubota B3300SU 33-hp / 1,800 pounds.

O P - F O L L O W U P --> J A N U A R Y 2 0 1 3

I did attend the Sunbelt Ag. Expo in October. I sought all Cultipackers and Rollers in the show. Of the Cultipackers those from Brillion and Everything Attachements were interesting.

Brillion displayed huge Cultipackers, which Brillion chooses to market as "Pulverizers", for ag tractors. However, the salesman did discuss Brillion's compact tractor PP models in 5'-6'-7'-8' widths, in 3-Pt. or pull type. He put a Brillion catalog in my hand. The Brillion PP model, five feet wide, cost $2000-$2200 from a Florida dealer, depending on roller wheels selected.

Everything Attachments displayed ETA 7' width / 3-Pt. Cultipacker. Looked solid. The 5' width, delivered to Florida, is $1400 / residential delivery.

The 5' Brillion and 5' ETA equipments each weigh approximately 700 pounds. (Actual weight shown on freight manifest 722 pounds including pallet.)

After mulling over thread comments for three months I decided I wanted a 5' X 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker from Everything Attachments. A Brillion, the "classic" brand in Cultipackers, would have been nice but $600-800 + Florida Sales Tax premium? For rolling dirt? Would dirt appreciate the difference?

Yellow Freight delivered 5' ETA Cultipacker today. I told the driver I had hoped Santa would bring the Cultipacker at Christmas.... but better late than never. He told me Santa Claus brought him a shining new Harley-Davidson for Christmas; SO THERE, CULTIPACKER MAN.

Another post after I roll around the world.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
A few pictures from today, February 16, 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
If the ground is soft, say tilled or whatever, a 3-pt packer will often leave tire tracks and tire impressions showing when done packing. With a pull-type packer you can see the bar marks from the tires but almost never the settled-in tire impressions. In other words, the pull type does a smoother job. I believe it's the weight transfer issue. Most often I'll use a pull type if there are not many obstacles to dodge and weave around.

I have finished reading two informative tractor books, both about Harry Ferguson, the Anglo-Irishman who invented the 3-Pt. Hitch, (patented February 1926) Draft Control, Position Control and many implements:

Harry Ferguson, Inventor & Pioneer by Colin Fraser

The Ferguson Tractor Story by Stuart Gibbard

From Gibbard: "The three-point linkage both pulled and carried the implement in work, transferring its weight onto the tractor's rear wheels. This meant Ferguson could build a lighter, more economical and cheaper machine, making his tractor more maneuverable and more versatile".

"Another advantage of the Ferguson system was that the line of pull of the implement at its working depth extended through the converging links of the three-point hitch to a theroretical point just behind the tractor's front axle. This was known as the 'virtual hitch point' and meant that the natural foreces affecting the implement in work were converted into a strong forward and downward thrust that held the tractor's front wheels down".

This explains why pulled Cultipackers do a marginally smoother job than 3-Pt. lift Cultipackers.
More weight on the rollers.

No tractor traction issues pulling a Cultipacker. The Cultipacker is just iron wheels, rolling.

Last edited:
   / Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #38  
Reviving this old thread just to say Thanks to all who contributed to it. (y)

Reading from start to finish gives a good understanding of which type cultipacker to consider. Depending on your individual circumstances there is no right answer for all.

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #40  
My plan is to build one with all the features I want. It will be an 8' pull type but with hydraulic lift wheels like on an offset harrow. The hitch will be interchangeable so I can use a Clevis or ball, so I can pull it with a tractor but more likely with a truck. This way someone can be disking or broadcasting while another drives around cultipacking from the comfort of a truck. The hydraulics will be driven with a 12 V hydraulic pump. It will be highway transportable by towing for short distances, like I transport my harrow behind my truck. I have gathered all the parts except the packer wheels (will get them from Everything Attachments) and plan to build it this winter. For my needs, that's the ideal packer. And I do think a pull type is more effective than a 3 point, unless you are in tight places or need to transport it, so it is a trade off. We try to make turn arounds at the end of all our plots so the harrow and packer can be turned without doing a 3 point turn.
I like my pull type for some of these reasons . someone can pull the packer with an atv or utv while i can still be working the tractor on something else, it doesnt take much to pull one. i have an old 8ft one that i replaced the old wood bearings with real greasable ones, Used it last weekend planting an acre of buckwheat, If i need to move it a long ways i pick it up with the loaderand carry it,