Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade?

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #61  
I love this state, if there is a way to get money from the people, NY finds a way.

Gotta love it, it is a shame though because we do have some of the most beautiful places in the US. :( :mad:

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #62  
Another thing is the tow vehicle must be rated for the maximum weight of the trailer. You can't get a 12000 lbs trailer, and pull it with a truck only rated for 10000 lbs and be legal. You can register it for less, but they go buy what it can carry, not registered.

I am having a tough time believing that one. :(

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #63  
At the end of the day it all depends on gear ratios. Put a 4.10 behind a S-10 with a 4.3L and it can tow a lot. Nissan only offers 2 gear ratios. You can tell which it has by the mirrors. Small car like mirrors and it has something like a 2.93 and big truck mirrors like mine has is equipped with 4.10's. Big gap there.
Chris

I had one of those 4.3L S-10's... sold it because it was too light for what I wanted to do... lack of power was not a problem... it had plenty of power and passengers often commented on the smooth ride... it had the long bed...

I just didn't think the brakes were not up to the task and without anything in bed... the back of the truck was very light.

Last edited:
   / Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #64  
This is an interesting thread, I feel much better after having read it all the way thru. You see, I bought a 28' Travel Trailer camper in Jan. I didn't do any homework on towing numbers thinking my 1500 Silverado would do fine. So, I towed it home, mostly a white knuckle trip of 90 miles. I then started checking tow ratings and found out the camper's loaded weight was over 9000. That Silverado with 3.42 gears and 5.3 engine was only rated for 7300#.

Long story short, I pulled it one more time, got the shot scared out of me and then went out and bought a low mileage Sierra 2500HD with 8.1L and 4.10 rear end. I couldn't afford a diesel as I preferred at the time, but I am well-satisfied with the 2500HD's towing abilities, as well as overall performance, except gas. It get8 mpg towing, 8.1 otherwise.

The thing that worried me the most was the potential liability issue. I think the 1500 could have met my needs for a while just towing in the flat lands of lower SC, but I've no regrets about the additional investment in the 2500 HD. BTW, I kept the 1500 for everyday abuse.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #65  
I would go with electric brakes on the trailer and WD hitch. My 10k dump body trailer with electric breaks stops a lot nicer than my 11k boat trailer with hydraulic breaks. I don't like that it has to push on me to get braking power. I would tow the dump trailer with an F150 and while I didn't do it often I didn't mind loading it up to the gills as long as I went slow and easy. I'm probably more of a hazard when I'm on a return trip after having dropped of what ever I was carrying and have an empty trailer. All of a sudden the whole thing feels like a sports car.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade?
I would go with electric brakes on the trailer and WD hitch. My 10k dump body trailer with electric breaks stops a lot nicer than my 11k boat trailer with hydraulic breaks. I don't like that it has to push on me to get braking power. I would tow the dump trailer with an F150 and while I didn't do it often I didn't mind loading it up to the gills as long as I went slow and easy. I'm probably more of a hazard when I'm on a return trip after having dropped of what ever I was carrying and have an empty trailer. All of a sudden the whole thing feels like a sports car.

I know that feeling; after I drop my trailer it feels like I just sprayed nitrous. lol

Man, I really opened a can of worms with this thread.

But I have decided "serious this time" to get the F-250/350. I have talked to a few dealers. I have found some good prices on them. Only problem is what the dealers are offering me on trade in is downright insulting. I am just gonna work on trying to sell it outright. So if anyone needs a nice F-150 I can put it on you right!

Now the question to ask is buy a "low miles V10 super guzzler" or "higher miles 6.0 grenade"??? :D Looking at 05-06 models.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #67  
Now the question to ask is buy a "low miles V10 super guzzler" or "higher miles 6.0 grenade"???
Don't buy a Ford and get neither of those. :D

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #68  
From my experiences the V10 is not a gas guzzler at all.In fact its usually better on fuel than the 5.4 v8.Only time a 5.4 will get better mpg is empty city mpg,on the highway or towing the v10 gets noticebly better mpg and it will pull just about anything a diesel can,same cant be said for the 5.4 unless your ok with constant 5 mpg ,4000RPM and 30 mph on hills towing heavy.At least the v10 is dead reliable,unlike the 6.0 diesel,and if it needs work,you can by an entire engine for the cost of injectors or a head gasket job on the 6.0(which you will defintely need if you have one out of warranty.)
I have an 8.1 GM big block,and it too it better on fuel than the 6.0 v8 towing,and I have enough power to pull anything you'd feel comfortable pulling with a 3/4 ton pickup.

/ Towing 10,000lbs with 1/2 ton, or upgrade? #69  
Buy the V10 and the gas station you will need to support it! The diesel will do you much better no matter what brand you buy. Just make sure it's not someone else's used & abused junk.
Personally, I own a 04 F350 6.0 diesel truck that has given me trouble free service and does a great job hauling. But then again, I didn't chip it, mud bog it, or enter pulling contests--and then whine & snivel to Ford because their "6.0 granade" broke.