Towing 14K trailer

/ Towing 14K trailer #61  
I have a Putnam 15K hitch on mine. Overkill, since I'm only 12K on the bumper, but that's what my Reading truck body installer puts on 'em.
I don't think its overkill at all. Mainly because its just a rating and that can be what ever a mfg chooses. I'll bet the Putman is no stronger then the Titan rated at 12K. Just look at trailers with their ratings. You can have 14K's with 8" beams or 10" beams. One could have cross member 12" on center the other 16" on center and so on. Its whatever they are willing to assign. I've pointed out there are dinky SUV's with those wishbone hitches made from what looks like 1 1/2" round tubing with more rating than the factory hitch on my truck that just by looking at it you could tell witch was the stronger one let alone how and what it was bolted to.

/ Towing 14K trailer #62  
Welcome to TBN MogginMike

Excellant first post:)

One question though, is yours a CMV?

Not by use; however, I may go through the process to get a US DOT # (free) to keep from being hounded. Trucks pulling trailers over 10k being used for commercial purposes & crossing state lines *do* need the #, and its a bit more subjective than others.

I also have been meaning to call the FMCSA & ask their opinion on the matter.

-mike