Towing a 1430

/ Towing a 1430
simple fix. Everyone said to 'check the grounds'. Unfortunately only ground I knew about was from negative side of the battery. Checked every wire I could find and make sure it was bolted tight... every wire I could find was fine. It was a wire which had come loose from the little solenoid. Since it was in the bottom/middle of the tub and 'not there' I didn't know it needed checking too. Mechanic friend came out and diagnosed/fixed it in about 4 minutes.

The connector had worn itself in two on this part

/ Towing a 1430
photo.JPG

/ Towing a 1430 #15  
That's the older Ford-type automotive solenoid PonyTug was talking about... (I've had several older Fords, they were always mounted on top of the fender well...)

So... if the Bosch solenoid on the starter is so 'sensitive', if the starter ever fails, then perhaps another brand/model could be used and that Ford-type solenoid removed...

Thanks for the explanation, PonyTug.

/ Towing a 1430 #16  
The Ford solenoid has the advantage of being cheap... I had one fail because the bracket on top got metal fatigue and fell off. Unfortunately, you need the top bracket to ground the solenoid so that it would work... :)

All the best,

Peter

That's the older Ford-type automotive solenoid PonyTug was talking about... (I've had several older Fords, they were always mounted on top of the fender well...)

So... if the Bosch solenoid on the starter is so 'sensitive', if the starter ever fails, then perhaps another brand/model could be used and that Ford-type solenoid removed...

Thanks for the explanation, PonyTug.

/ Towing a 1430 #17  
I have a nice burned out hole in my engine cage where the previous owner (not you ken) must have had his electrical fire. Either a wire broke and fell in the cage or the hole unit broke. Burned a nice 3" hole right through the metal.