Towing a small square baler

/ Towing a small square baler #11  
Hi all. I have searched the threads and I haven't found any answers to my specific question. I did learn quite a bit though.

I am looking at buying a used baler. New Holland 320. I know that normal baler tires are not meant for towing on the highway at higher speeds - especially for longer distances. I am wondering if I would be ok if I bought two new high speed rated radial tires for it? The 320 is only 1500.00 so I could see an investment in a couple of tires as being ok. I could likely sell them once I get home.

Thoughts Please!!!

Also, does anyone know the width from the outside of one tire to the outside of the other on these balers? If I could fit it on a trailer, I would rather go that way.

Thanks
gekog:confused:

My MF124 is a small square baler--100" wide (8ft 4in), weighs 3060 lb, overall length is 16'2".

You probably could back it onto a 104" wide over-the-wheels flatbed trailer with a few inches to spare side-to-side (I couldn't do it--I'd have that baler slipping off the deck for sure--but someone with more experience and a steadier hand could load it on a flatbed without doubt) .

I towed that 124 home from the Seller's place behind my F150 (about 30 miles on the back roads, speed 25 mph tops).

DSCF0266 (Small).JPGDSCF0269 (Small).JPGDSCF0274 (Small).JPG

The baler was in excellent shape (the Seller baled on his 30 acres the day before I bought it), the rubber looked good and he said he thought the wheel bearings were OK. But I took it easy anyway.

I've seen balers like mine behind pickups going down Hwy 99 (2 lanes) at 50 mph or so several times.

Be sure to swing the tongue/hitch in the transport position. Good luck with your purchase.

/ Towing a small square baler #12  
Really what is the difference though? If it made it the first 120 it would make it the rest of the way.

Not sure about that. I have had bearings and tires fail in less than a mile and have also have had them go out after nearly 750 miles. I have customers who get 90% of the way to where they are going and have a issue. My last major issue I towed a 3 year old boat back from GA and made it all but 70 miles and had 3 flats in a 40 mile stretch on a Sunday evening. Try finding tires then. No rhyme or reason but preventive maintenance is the key to limiting the risks.

Chris

/ Towing a small square baler #13  
No Way would I pull/bounce a square baler that far... Dunno how they compare far as size, but a New Holland 430 I hualed in a couple years ago, with the Wheels off, hung over about 12" each side of a 8'-6" Deck over trailer.

/ Towing a small square baler #14  
Not sure about that. I have had bearings and tires fail in less than a mile and have also have had them go out after nearly 750 miles. I have customers who get 90% of the way to where they are going and have a issue. My last major issue I towed a 3 year old boat back from GA and made it all but 70 miles and had 3 flats in a 40 mile stretch on a Sunday evening. Try finding tires then. No rhyme or reason but preventive maintenance is the key to limiting the risks.

Chris

That is kind of my point.

Distance plays no real factor in deciding to tow it IMO.

/ Towing a small square baler #15  
That is kind of my point.

Distance plays no real factor in deciding to tow it IMO.

but speed does, especially when they are not designed for freeway speeds. i'll tow anything any distance at a reasonable speed; but a hay baler is not made to go 500 miles at 50+mph..........

i guess you keep missing the mention of towing a farm implement, with no suspension, no brakes, off-road tires, low speed spindles, etc at highway speeds. i would assume that the baler is also over the legal width of road legal vehicle, and therefore is an "oversize load". i am going to also assume it has no lighting. distance has nothing to do with it, his required speed does.

/ Towing a small square baler #16  
but speed does, especially when they are not designed for freeway speeds. i'll tow anything any distance at a reasonable speed; but a hay baler is not made to go 500 miles at 50+mph..........

i guess you keep missing the mention of towing a farm implement, with no suspension, no brakes, off-road tires, low speed spindles, etc at highway speeds. i would assume that the baler is also over the legal width of road legal vehicle, and therefore is an "oversize load". i am going to also assume it has no lighting. distance has nothing to do with it, his required speed does.

But 4O is OK?

Baler is not over width to tow since it is a farm implement. It would be when on the trailer.

/ Towing a small square baler #17  
Really what is the difference though? If it made it the first 120 it would make it the rest of the way.

Kinda like my race car that made it 50 laps and blew up on the 51st.:D

/ Towing a small square baler #18  
When I worked for a IH/NH dealer in Montana back in the 80's we towed balers new and used up and down the interstate at the speed limit and +. That said I doubt we ever towed one over 200 mi.

If we were leaving from the shop we would check the wheel bearings.

We finally built a bumper for a IH 200 4x4 that had a offset hitch just for towing balers.

With the age of it now I think I'd haul it on a trailer unless you replace the tires (or have spares that you know will bolt up) and you've checked the wheel bearings.

/ Towing a small square baler
Thanks all for your thoughts and advise. Does anyone know the outside wheel dimensions of the 320 baler. Will the wheels fit on a 8' or 8'6" trailer?

gekog

/ Towing a small square baler #20  
Thanks all for your thoughts and advise. Does anyone know the outside wheel dimensions of the 320 baler. Will the wheels fit on a 8' or 8'6" trailer?

gekog

Might call a Dealer, They should be able to tell ya....