Towing an L35 ?

/ Towing an L35 ? #1  

jerrykn

Howdy guys, I've been reading here for a long time and need some info from you'all

I've got to tow a Kubota L35 about 1,000 miles, My trailer is 7k rated so my combined load of the l35 and the trailer would be abot 500lbs over that.
I'm going to tow with either a Ford Excursion or a Ford F-250 both diesels.

I was wondering if I could remove some items from the L35 like the loader and BH buckets, or maybe if I use the F-250 could maybe either the loader or BH be removed and put in the back of the truck?

Any other suggestions.
Does anybody know the weight of the differnt pieces like the buckets or the loader or BH.

Thanks

Jerry

/ Towing an L35 ? #2  
We preach all the time about not towing over weight but only 500# is not that much. If the trailer is in good shape, new tires, ect I would not worry about it. Its no question on the trucks, just make sure your trailer is up to par, good tie downs, ect and go.

Thats my $.02

Chris

/ Towing an L35 ? #4  
L35 tlb # 6000lbs
bt900 # 1500lbs
tl720 #1200 lbs
should have a 10,000 lb trailer at least 20 ft long to tow with , mines just 18 ft and is too short ( too much tongue weight )

/ Towing an L35 ? #5  
L35 tlb # 6000lbs
bt900 # 1500lbs
tl720 #1200 lbs
should have a 10,000 lb trailer at least 20 ft long to tow with , mines just 18 ft and is too short ( too much tongue weight )

The L35TLB is listed, with loader and backhoe, @ 5997lbs.

Oper. Wgt. w/Backhoe, lb. (kg) 5997 (2720)

http://www.kubota.com/h/products/l35_comps.pdf

I towed mine from MD to CT with my K2500 GMC on a 16 foot 7k trailer. If I had another choice it would be with a 20 foot 10k trailer..but what I own is what I used.....as a added note.. the loader bucket wieghs about 250 lbs and the backhoe bucket less than a hundred..

My L35 is fitted with a curtis cab and has SSQA FEL and QA backhoe bucket, so it weighs a few hundred pounds more than a stock unit. The trailer didn't complain.

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 641
   / Towing an L35 ? #6  
The L35TLB is listed, with loader and backhoe, @ 5997lbs.

Oper. Wgt. w/Backhoe, lb. (kg) 5997 (2720)

http://www.kubota.com/h/products/l35_comps.pdf

I towed mine from MD to CT with my K2500 GMC on a 16 foot 7k trailer. If I had another choice it would be with a 20 foot 10k trailer..but what I own is what I used.....as a added note.. the loader bucket wieghs about 250 lbs and the backhoe bucket less than a hundred..

My L35 is fitted with a curtis cab and has SSQA FEL and QA backhoe bucket, so it weighs a few hundred pounds more than a stock unit. The trailer didn't complain.

Haleluja! Exactly. Just tow the dang thing and get the work done. :D

This is not directed at Jerrykn or anyone specifically, but I've never seen so much worrying & whining and over-analysis to the point of obsession about being a few hundred pounds overweight as on this website. :confused:

Manufacturers build products with a built in engineered margin of error to compensate for misloaded weight on trailers & trucks. Many guys here act as if all 4 tires will explode and the trailer frame will shatter like a brandy snifter if a guy loads 7,001 lbs on a 7,000lb trailer. :D

I have seen horrendously overloaded trucks & trailers, but yet to see one cause a severe accident. However, I have seen more than my share of dopes on a cell phone or speeding in unloaded trucks cause accidents.

Nice L-35. Here was mine. Tough little bugger.

/ Towing an L35 ?
Many thanks for the feedback.
The main problem other than gross overloading I have seen is an unbalanced load, which I will be quite careful about. I would like to keep the trailer load as low as I can. If it's not way to hard I would like to pull the buckets and load them in the Ford. Not only will it drop the trailer weight but it will be easier the balance the trailer so I get about 4-500 lbs on the hitch.

So what does it take to remove the buckets?

Jerry

/ Towing an L35 ? #8  
Don't forget that the tongue weight is subtracted from the trailer and added to the truck.

If you have filled tires, that will add about 700 pounds-ish.

You may need to take off the FEL bucket and put it in the truck bed all the way forward to balance the load with about 1000 pound on the tongue. The BH on the backwill possibly make the nose light.

jb

/ Towing an L35 ? #9  
I personally would not bother taking the bucket off. Its more trouble than its worth and not going to make much difference. With your 3/4 ton Fords you will have no problem with tongue weight with this load. You need to have about 700 to 1050 pounds of tongue weight or aprox 10/15% of your trailer weight. Just play with loading the tractor. Mine actually works best on my trailer if backed on.

Chris

/ Towing an L35 ? #10  
Also of late, there has been a lot of talk of certain states going after people towing trailers, I live a mile from the Union CT scale house, and there is no doubt what they do.,. They will pull over anyone that pulls a trailer and make it scale, They especially like going after the "adventure in moving" orange striped U Haul rental fleet, Many aren't scared of going over 500 lbs as they are, what will happen if I am pulled over, I understand from other contractor nets that I am on that New York state is doing the same and I hear that western PA does the same, SO it really doesn't hurt to ask about a few pounds overweight as long as those asking realize where they are towing from, along with weight of whatever they are towing,