Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #31  
Ya know I really don't think I would want the controller mounted on the trailer myself since adjusting on the fly is completely out of the question.

But if it works for him....

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee
wushaw said:
Ya know I really don't think I would want the controller mounted on the trailer myself since adjusting on the fly is completely out of the question.

But if it works for him....

It has a WIRELESS two way remote dude. Powered by the cigarette lighter. I can see the Breaking status, set the gain, manually trigger the breaking and it will tell me if anything is malfunctioning with this hand held gadget. The setup cost him about $1000.00 on this trailer. It's very nice. The accelerometor and brains are in a box on the trailer. But no special wiring needed on the pull vehicle. Just trailer running lights wiring is needed.

I'm not saying it's for everyone. But he had a need that he could hook up a trailer to anything that was strong enough without special wiring. That's why I can hook it up to my jeep in 10 minutes and be off to the races with the exact same functionality as a permanently installed controller.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #33  
Do you have any details on that controller set up? Brands, numbers, sources?

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #34  
mswlogo said:
In case anyone was concerned with this setup, I just picked it up. It's pretty slick. The controller is on the trailer including it's own small motorcycle battery to power it. He also has a wireless controller for the driver to set the gain and monitor the system. He also loaned me a load leveling hitch. So I should be in good shape.

So when are you going to go get the tractor?
Have a safe enjoyable trip.
The dealer dropped off my 2 BX1500S about noon today.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #35  
We have a 2000 Jeep GC with the 4.7L V8 and it pulled my BX23 (loaded into a dump trailer) just fine. Keep the overdrive locked-out.

To control this mass of metal, I installed a Prodigy controller. The Jeep already had a trailering package...but no electric brake. The good news is that there was a blue wire factory-installed that was there for the brake. As I recall, I connected +12V, Ground, the magic blue wire, and a line to one of the wires that went to the break pedal switch (not the "always hot" wire, BTW). The Prodigy simply needs to know when brakes are applied. I also installed a 30 amp self-resetting circuit breaker on the 12V line that I ran all the way to the battery. (Remember, you just don't want to grab 12V just anywhere as it may be fused. Like the cigarette lighter.) Since I used a 30A breaker, I used 10 gauge wire.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee
   / Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #37  
Well that is an interesting system. A definite alternate for those that need that type.