Town cops vs city cops

/ Town cops vs city cops
It wasn't my intention to paint all police officers with the broad brush of unfairness, but rather to point out my preference for age and wisdom over youth and vigor. Not letting me go into the parts store to buy a replacement bulb until he had written his ticket was a very immature move; even his sergeant realized that. On the rare occasions when we needed a town cop up here on our hill, they have come to our aid rapidly and dealt with our concerns in a fair and most professional manner. We love our local officers, and wish all law enforcement officials showed their level of maturity.

On the topic of ridiculous tickets, however, your post reminded me of the ONLY moving violation I've received in my entire life. I was riding my bicycle in San Diego early one day. (I did a lot of riding back then, typically 500-600 miles per week.) I was riding thru a residential neighborhood on a slight downhill. I heard a car behind me, so I hugged the right side of the road and waved him past me. The car didn't respond, just paced me a couple feet back and to my left. So I figured what the heck, I'll do my Nelson Vails routine and race him to the traffic light up ahead. I really poured it on, and went racing down the road.

Till I heard the chirp of his siren!

The officer pulled me over and asked for ID. I handed him my military ID. He asked if I had a drivers' license and like a fool I offered that as well, though it wasn't required for riding a bike. I was stunned when he wrote me a citation for doing 42mph in a school zone!

The judge was very sympathetic, but it was a moving violation and it was in a school zone. He gave me the option of attending a safe driver course or taking the points. I took the class...and spent the next several evenings listening to this clown of an instructor go on and on about how bicycles should be banned from city streets!

But at least I kept my clean record! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ Town cops vs city cops #22  
I envy you Pete. It's long been a dream to to get a citation for speeding on a bicycle.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Town cops vs city cops #23  
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yes, the only way I ever exceeded 40 mph on my mountain bike when I was riding regularly was a long, long downhill! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Town cops vs city cops
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I envy you Pete. It's long been a dream to to get a citation for speeding on a bicycle.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Egon -- Well, it DID earn me major points in the local bicycle shop! And that was back in the days when my waistline was 29 inches...and my thighs were 27 inches! These days I count myself lucky if I can sit on one of those tiny leather seats and not bruise myself! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pete

/ Town cops vs city cops #26  
Incidentally, Frost, TX, has a one man police department and that one man also has a little sideline business; he's an Elvis impersonator; the older version of Elvis, overweight, long sideburns, etc. Let's just say he's well known in the area and you don't want to pass through Frost one mile per hour over the speed limit.

/ Town cops vs city cops #27  
Yup, I dislike overweight ex-jocks with a modest education handing me a ticket for some minor issue, but they ARE under pressure to ticket us. Really. My prior post re. the comments of a former state trooper on the recently very stringent ticketing done by the local cops in his town - because the town council had reduced the budget for the 2 cops and their car - was validated by the headlines in our local "rag" today - 3/29/05 (look it up on the net). Well, it was "The Post and Courier" (the South's oldest newspaper - no kidding), which is in Charleston, SC. Headline was "Audits to track slowdown of fines", as "police academy dependent on revenue". So, it seems 3 counties statewide were not ticketing folks enough to meet the funding needs of the state's police academy (gets a percentage of every citation in the state) - so, those county's police departments are being audited by the state. Sort of delivers a message - ticket or else.
So, who do they ticket to meet their quota (because the police chief doesn't like a state auditor in their office) --- well, you and I, what a surprise - for major stuff if feasible, but if not enough revenue is forthcoming, then for anything.
End of story.

/ Town cops vs city cops #28  
Sounds like they want a lot of tickets written in that town !!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

They force the same thing here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Glad the officer had to stand in the rain to approve the repairs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe he'll think next time that it's QUALITY not quantity.

/ Town cops vs city cops #29  
If i'm not mistaken isn't New Rome a suburb of Columbus, Oh and i thought they just made them do away with the Kangaroo court the Mayor was holding. It seems i read this in one of my Car and Driver mags.

Dur

/ Town cops vs city cops #30  
You are correct in that it WAS a suburb of Columbus. The State Attorney General was finally able to get it abolished last fall. I think when it happened everybody locally at a collective, "Whew, about time." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif