Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Toyota Prius #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
My wife and I decided to consider buying a new car, that will be used primarily for her to deliver our goat milk (50 miles each way, every 3 days). Right now she delivers milk in our 2000 Ford Explorer which has about 150.000 miles on it.

To deliver the milk, we use two 50 gallon tanks that fit nicely in the back of the Explorer. I think they'll just make it in the back of the Prius.

Does anyone have a Prius, and have much knowledge about them? I have some questions:

How are they in the snow? Up to now, we've used 4wd drive vehicles. We're in upstate New York, and we often get quite a bit of snow.

I'm wondering how a Prius would handle having the milk tanks in the back. Filled, they weigh about 400 lbs each. We don't often have 2 full tanks, we usuall have 2 tanks filled a little more than half way. but we could sometimes be transporting 100 gallons of milk at a time, which would be over 800 lbs of weight in the back.

Has any body had any mechanical problems with them, or experiences good or bad?

Thanks!!!

/ Toyota Prius #2  
I have a 2010 Prius as a company car. I have about 3K miles on it in about a month and a half. I've averaged 51.4 mpg. The fleet service requires an oil change every 7500 miles using only synthetic. I can't comment on any problems with the vehicle since there haven't been any. I really like the car and would buy one if I needed a new personal. The dealer that instructed me on the car said there are fleet Prius's out there with 200K miles and the batteries max at 80% capacity. I will find out this winter how it goes in the snow. I don't haul any weight but 800 pounds is 4 average size guys so I don't see it as too much if it's distributed across the back of the car with the seats down and only your wife driving.

/ Toyota Prius #3  
I am visualizing 2- 55 gallon drums, although holding more, not that much more. That seems like a lot for any small car. If the tag says it's OK, fine, but is that be what the car was designed to do on a regular basis?

/ Toyota Prius #4  
I'd personally look into a diesel Jetta wagon. Same price and a lot more flexible. The diesel Jetta's get over 40mpg on the highway.

I agree with others who note that the load capacity of either of these vehicles is close to the limit if you have almost 800lbs of cargo. I just checked the VW site and total load capacity including driver is 981lbs. The last generation Prius had a total load capacity of only 800lbs so you would not be able to carry a full 800lb cargo load.

/ Toyota Prius #5  
I would think that something along the lines of a good, used Ford Escape or Subaru AWD wagon would be better suited...the Escape is available as a Hybrid if that's your cup of tea. May be even better suited with a small 5' X 7' trailer behind about any small car.

/ Toyota Prius #6  
The gross vehicle weight would be one concern to settle before going much farther.:D

/ Toyota Prius #7  
I would think that something along the lines of a good, used Ford Escape or Subaru AWD wagon would be better suited...the Escape is available as a Hybrid if that's your cup of tea. May be even better suited with a small 5' X 7' trailer behind about any small car.

+1
Dave.

/ Toyota Prius #8  
If the tanks are only half full how well will a small vehicle handle with the sloshing load? Full size tankers have lots more problems half full Vs plumb full.

I would never consider pulling a loaded trailer with a small car on icy roads.

Roy

/ Toyota Prius #9  
Once you get rid of the OEM tires and put on some decent snows, it should be decent i the snow. We have a friend who has over 200k on a first generation Prius and he says that the OEM tires were very hard and slippery in the snow, but once he installed snows the car went well.

As for putting 2 50 gallon tanks of milk in the back, I would check on the rated capacity and unless you had enough to cover 2 people and 100 gallons of milk, I would go with a larger vehicle.

Dad has a 2003 Jetta TDI sedan and it gets 45ish MPG without sacrificing anything in comfort or handling.

Aaron Z

/ Toyota Prius #10  
Even a Jetta has a total payload capacity including driver of just over 900 lbs. Rich, it sounds like you won't be able to use such a small vehicle as a Prius, Civic, Jetta etc for your intended use due to the weight, even if you can manage to fit it in. How about a smaller version of your Explorer - something like a Honda CR-V or a Toyota RAV4?

Status
Not open for further replies.