Toyota sienna what coolant??

/ Toyota sienna what coolant?? #21  
Why would any manufacturer allow this aggravating feature to be a part of their vehicles? Especially GM? What are they thinking?

Is it planned obsolescence to force people back into their shop, engineering stupidity, corporate arrogance that they are the smartest people in the room or is Dexcool really a desirable product? It's not like it's the only successful coolant on earth. What's the problem?

I don't use it personally, so I went to look it up to confirm that it's Organic Acid Technology - it's worse than I thought.

Antifreeze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia see the OAT section, if it doesn't pop up directly.

Designing a coolant that is incompatible with silicone and nylon ? Didn't know about that aspect.

GM blames "failing pressure caps" for air ingress into the system. Am I supposed to believe that no hose clamps have ever loosened in the history of the IC engine ?

There are plenty of other good options out there. If I had an out of warranty GM product, I'd probably just use Prestone's 5 year coolant - if that wikipedia entry is correct, Dexcool doesn't last any longer than that Prestone.

Not for nothing does my pro-wrench buddy call it Deathcool.

Most auto companies today are playing the "branding" game with fluids and lubes. Some of this shift is for technical reasons, but IMO, it's mostly being done for marketing/licensing/revenue reasons. Some would argue that manufacturers make these moves to enable them to weasel out of warranty claims.

Let's call this the 20% Engineering vs. 80% Marketing+BeanCounters game.

In this case, the game created a Frankenstein product.

Rgds, D.