Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #11  
While snow is not a huge problem for me, I'm thinking the "big one" could be a sustained food shortage caused by any number of factors.
Trying to break ground by hand or with a rototiller is much much harder than using that ol' money pit tractor and a plow.
Merry Christmas!

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #12  
We bought our spread in 2003. I told her I wanted something with some land. She says why do we need land? I said so I can have a tractor. She says why do you need a tractor? I said so I can have land. You see, I always win this battle.

So, I get the house and a Ford 861 Powermaster Gas. I soon learn I need more tractor. I then buy a Jinma 28HP with a FEL, and some implements. She just shakes her head. A couple weeks later she is out front digging a area about 15' long and 10' wide to make a flow bed. I go get the tractor and drop the bucket. 2 passes and I did what would have taken her a entire day. She is now in love with my "IRON HORSE".

Just 3 months later we get a Ice Storm and no power for 8 days. On top of that we get 8" of snow. The tractor did all the clean up in a matter of days and the 70 amp generator keep the house going. Not a month later we got a 36" dump and blizzard conditions for a week. Many were stranded for a week or more but not us. I got up every 4-6 hours and keep on top of the plowing of both our drive and our 1 mile road. We were out and about the next day.

Now come my birthday or Christmas she ask what tool do I need, not what toy!

Chris

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #13  
This is the third winter that I have had my tractor. My main motive in buying it was snowblowing, so at about $30M, that would have been an expensive, but reliable method for snow movement, and it has been.

However I found that only 30% of the hours on the tractor were snowlowing hours. We have used it for excavating, processing wood for my wood furnace, cutting up, chipping and moving dead trees, etc.

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #14  
LOL Yeah, here in northern Minnesota I'm the tractor guy in our neighborhood. My 335 Bobcat plows snow for the weekend neighbors from Minneapolis. Brings in area lake docks, and is an invaluable tool for removing unwanted trees. Never turn down a generous donation for my efforts though. After all, I'm the one with the major investment. Secretly though, it's just another reason to crank up my toy er...ah...tractor.

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #15  
Or you could do it like I did: Work beside your wife for 20 years doing all the yard landscaping, shoveling and heavy work by hand and with wheelbarrow or maybe lawn tractor. THEN get a tractor, and she says "If I had known what this tractor could do, we'd have had one 20 years ago!".

atleast i wont have to worry about that.:D My tractor is a tool for grading the road, plowing snow, mowing brush, and working in the garden. Its a great little tractor. It has been my "toy" at times but i still treat it as the hardest working horse in the barn. (and the only for now)

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #16  
I maintain a 100 acres of meadow, orchard and forest........ my "boys" work year round.

Attachments

• Porsche run 2006 010.jpg
    Porsche run 2006 010.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 275
   / Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #17  
My wife has come around to appreciating what it can do and no longer questions my decision.

Man, are you fortunate...30 blissfull years and she "Still" questions me...WTH?

Generally it's the "we're almost getting a divorce" to "wow, that's really nice"

Nd

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #18  
You know my wife gave me a bunch of grief when I bought my BX two years ago, thinking it was another "toy" that I wanted. After I brought it home and moved a few smaller trees and larger bushes with the backhoe she usually doesn't say a word anymore.

Some things in life just take a demonstration to prove the point......

Craig

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #19  
From my wife..."You waxed and waned about buying that **** tractor, and I stood right here and TOLD you to buy the **** thing already!!! Why is this decision taking so long? We both know you are going to do it."

What can I say? I have a good wife.

/ Tractor- An Expensive Toy, ...until the big one hits #20  
In this wonderful season, I count my blessings and little miracles.
My back doesn't hurt near as much as it used to.
Firewood and pellets are fun again.
The driveways are plowed when I want them done and the snow doesn't get piled into inconvenient places.
Rototilling is literally painless and fast.
Straightening a fence was never so easy.

To my brothers and sisters on TBN I wish you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. And maybe one more attachment.:D