Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams

/ Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams #21  
Egon said:
Lets add the case where the bucket is placed under a very heavy load and the curl feature lifts the rear wheels off the grond??:D

Did that last weekend and it actually worked pretty good. The rears settled right back down when the load on the 3pt was lifted. Don't think the FEL could have gotten it up any other way.

/ Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams
I'm glad y'all are enjoying my chicken scratches - schmism did point out an an important ommision the height of the CG above ground - loaded tires add weight low, the FEL adds weight high. Also - dateacha brings up great points about the three axis of rotation.

Hopefully this gives the non (or lapsed) science types an idea of the theory of how to "keep the greasy side down"

/ Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams #23  
Fun post, although you also need add an assumption for ~ 200# of "mostly water" ballast in the operator's seat -- not sure about you but my bucket is rarely off the ground if my butt is not in the seat.

For completeness and extra credit now we need to add a little sensitivity analysis.

1) Perhaps a loaded tractor with rear ballast (but no filled tires since many don't have) on a 15% slope.

2) Same as #1, but approximate the 1st order effect of a sudden braking event (deacceleration travel of perhaps 1') with tractor going 3mph down same incline.

Please solve and post response quickly or my curiousity will now force me to solve these myself...

/ Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams #24  
Dieselsmoke1:

Thats called "Tractors in Moition" or Dynamic stability!:)

My little tractor spends much of it's time on the two front wheels when doing loader work.

/ Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams #25  
Hazmat, really great post thanks! :thumbsup:

William

/ Tractor ballasting, weight distribution & free body diagrams #26  
Dieselsmoke1:

Thats called "Tractors in Moition" or Dynamic stability!:)

My little tractor spends much of it's time on the two front wheels when doing loader work.

While Egon,
from your signature you more meat on them bones to help keep the rear wheels on the ground :D