Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____.

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #51  
<font color="blue"> so i will either have to buy more land or get a cheaper tractor </font>

I've been thinking about this thread, and in most cases, the folks with a low cost per acre are those who may or may not have spent as much for the tractor, but they have a lot more land. The only way I could get down to $146. 50 (the lowest number I noted) would be to spend only $732.50 for a tractor - not realistic.

So, obviously, in the context of this thread, the only way to justify the money I spent on a tractor is to spend more money to buy more land. For only $701,201 I can drop my cost per acre for the tractor down to the same $146.50... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course, then I'd need a bigger tractor, so I'd need even more land to hold the average! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #52  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Right now I'm at $1700/acre and I thought that was pretty bad and it's fixin" to get worse )</font>

Don't feel bad... I just figured mine up.. 1666.67 per acre... but then.. I got like 5 tractors too.. so.. not sure what that says /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Soundguy

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #53  
Re: Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $____

Just a hobby for some of us even though we use them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #54  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I would prefer to say that I have 45 hp/acre. I can at least say that with a Tim Taylor grunt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Hey maybe it comes out better that way.

Let's see, tractor 28, mower 25, tiller 5..........can we count weed eaters?

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #55  
Well not everybody wants to live this far from town. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #56  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well not everybody wants to live this far from town. )</font>

That's the way my wife grew up-- 30 miles from everything.

We're now lucky enough to have the best of both worlds--
We have 3.6 acres, but we're in walking distance of such places as the bank and the post office. There's not many people on TBN with a little bit of land who can WALK to the pizza shop to pick up dinner! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's see, three tractors and 3.6 acres. That's 1.2 tractors per acre! I never figured the COST per ACRE, but while I was shopping for the NH, I justified it to Mrs. AndyM in cost per YEAR. I told her that the 2N and 8N were close to 60 years old, so if the New Holland lasts that long, it's less than $140 per year!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Try that one on the CFO!

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #57  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the 2N and 8N were close to 60 years old, so if the New Holland lasts that long )</font>

Good point... I tried that line myself... The mrs's reply was that i would be extremely lucky if my NH lasted as long as my N's... as they were built beter back then

To an extent I agree with her.... for one thing.. the sheet metal on my N's is a good gauge.. the sheet metal on my NH is thin enough to bend by hand..easilly. And the newer models don't even have sheet metal.. just plastic / fiberglass... go figure..

Soundguy

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #58  
Yea, I tried to use that line too. JD820 ... 45 years old, cost $4000, worth today ... probably close to $4000. She told me that if I bought a new Kubota, she'd keep the tractor and let me go because I wouldn't last another 45 years and if I did, I wouldn't be worth anything. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm just going to have to think of a another angle. I want that new tractor and mower pretty bad. Still working at it.

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #59  
My wife is smarter than that, the person who gets my pension, unreduced, is the woman who I was married to on the date of my retirement, and the date of my death. She's halfway there.

/ Tractor budget started at $_____, now at $_____. #60  
Lawman, I think you put the horses on the wrong side of the equation unless yours are a lot different than ours. Mine have to go on the expense side along with the tractor. But then again maybe you're making money with yours! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kevin