Tractor Buy

/ Tractor Buy #1  

JeepmanNC

Hi folks. Need a little advice on Massey Ferguson tractors. A guy has priced me a MF 1240, 4WD, 28 HP, 16 speed with reg. shift, 600 hours for $12,000. It comes with the following attachments: bushhog, Tiller, Cultivator, Boom Pole, aerator, auger, ridge disk, 7' mowing sickle, Harrow, 6' scrape blade, rake, corn planter, cutaway harrow, scoop pan, turning plow, and a 6'x12' trailer.

Is this a good deal?

/ Tractor Buy #2  
I'm not that familiar with prices, definitely prefer HST and FEL, but that sure does sound like a good deal to me.

Bird

/ Tractor Buy #3  
Wow, that's a lot of attachments. Have you broken down the price of the attachments, just to see what it would cost to replace them?

SHF

/ Tractor Buy #4  
Another question, will you use all of those attachments? I'm familiar with the 'you can't have enough attachments' argument, but don't think it always applies. For example $12,000 will buy you a new Kubota L2600 or probably the JD equivelent (760?) with a 5' bush hog and a 60' KK tiller. Less attachments, but a new tractor with a warranty.

You might also consider what you might be able to get if you sold the used implements you don't need as mentioned earlier. You likely won't need all of those ground-breaking implements, as the tiller will likely do 90% of what you need, but you be the judge. Just some thoughts.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Tractor Buy #5  
Are the implements the same age as the tractor or is the guy just cleaning out his barn?

/ Tractor Buy
He bought it all for the tractor. It goes with it.

/ Tractor Buy
I had that very same thought. I'm not planning on cattle, so how often would I really need an auger. The bushhog, tiller, and scrape blade are really all I need. I thought about buying the tractor and sellling most of the implements, but I worried about finding a buyer.

/ Tractor Buy #8  
JeepmanNC,

Some of those impliments are rather specialized. You could possibly take them to a local sale barn auction. I wouldn't have a clue what you would get for them, but my guess is that it wouldn't be more than $2000 total . . . just a guess. That again prices the tractor close to a new one.

As an aside, I'm still looking for a tractor myself, and financing a used tractor also increases their cost relative to a new one. Don't know if you've gotten that far yet, or perhaps you're digging in to savings. But the big three have attractive financing options (5.5-7% approx) with 10% or less down. Won't find anything like that on a used, more like 10% interest with 20% down.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Tractor Buy #9  
I maybe interested in the plow and disk. What size are they?? Also where are you from. I live in SC. If NC stands for North Carolina maybe we could make a deal. If you live in California or something it probably won't work..

/ Tractor Buy
Yes, we live in North Carolina, not far from the Virginia border in Stokes County. I didn't buy the tractor, although it was a terrific deal. My wife just learned the State was cutting her job, so that's a real downer. I passed the tractor onto a friend and he's buying it today actually.

Thanks for the inquiry though.